HOW to get toilet tank lid off?!?

The flush worked fine until this morning when it suddenly started running and wont flush at ALL now. I closed the water supply, turned it on - wait a while, it wont work. (If I leave the water supply on, it just keeps running,btw)

Before any advice on getting it to flush again, pl also tell me HOW do I get the lid off?

Its the sort where you press down a button on top to get it to flush,and the heavy ceramic lid wont come off when i try to pull it up- budges up a couple of cm,but seems fixed!

Update:

HAVE tried to lift it.. but seems stuck in the middle

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The lid is 'bolted' down. The bolt is actually the rim surrounding the flush button. Try pressing the flush button a bit and unscrew the rim. Lid shld come off unless your toilet bowl is really unique! Putting it back is the reverse process, most difficult part would be 'catching' the part which the rim need to screw back on. Good luck.

• 5 years ago

You will have a hard time finding a tank cover that will fit properly. As far as changing the tank, you can bye one and it is not hard at all to install. You can even go on the internet to see how it is done. Install donut ring between tank and bowl. Install bolts according to the instructions that come with the tank. Make sure you purchase a tank lid for the bowl you have. American standard, Kohler i.e. The name of the unit is stamped on the bowl usually at the rear of the bowl opening. Lift the seat you'll find it.

• 1 decade ago

just put your fingers at bottom of the edge and then pull it off carefull theres stuff inside that you could break if you pull it right off....so take the lid of a bit and then the flush handle might be fixed to the lid.....then youve got to putt that of carefully to get the lid completely off....but i dont know what type of flush box you have.....i was talking about those with the flush thing at top of the lid....but those with the handle at side....are easy to open and the lid isnt attached to anything so just pull the lid off....

good luck.....hope you can fix it soon.....

• 1 decade ago

not ever worked on this type of toilet i would try to get the brand name and search the net you might find out how it is put together but i would try to loosen the push button if there is a nut there this is probably holding down the lid. it sounds like you need a new tank ball (flapper) replaced in the bottom of the tank or something is holding it open allowing water to run out

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If you can't get it off, i seriously would call a plumber, because the last thing you want to be dealing with is a cracked toilet lid! Look to see if there is any caulk around it or if there is any tape holding it down. Those are the only suggestions I can think of.

• 1 decade ago

The center button is threaded to the outer ring flange .

Unscrew the button and remove, then you should be able to unscrew the ring. The ring is what holds the lid down, once removed it should be easy to lift the lid. (Reverse steps to re-attach)

• 1 decade ago

they can all be bolted down differently, do what others say and try unscrewing larg chrome ring, if there seems too much resistance, try pulling up the knob or knobs in the middle of this first, if you have two knobs in centre, then try pushing one down and then pulling the other one up. after doing this you may be able to unscrew the large chrome ring, then clean the flange or flapper on your siphon,, if this doesnt work, you will have to replace the siphone.

good luck!!

• 1 decade ago

is it silicned down?or dry wall over it tell me more.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

lift it up. DUH

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.