al.untitled asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

help with my betta fish?

I got my betta fish yesterday. When I saw it, it was in a tiny container with dividers with two other fish. It took an hour and a half to get home and he was in a bag the whole time. Once home, I put him in a big vase while I read about betta fish. I also dropped a few pellets for it. It spit some of them out. Then, I transfered it to a big pot normally for plants. It haven't eaten today and doesn't respond to me as well as yesterday. It comes up for air every ten or so minutes but mostly it lies in the normal and doesn't move. Now it's floating near the top, not moving much either. Not at irregular angles. It doesn't respond to me at all. I plan to get a bigger home for it, a plastic tank and some plants. What kind of plants would you suggest? And what about other fishes? Should I act some playmates for him? I didn't know about tap water until after but I wouldn't be able to go to the pet store to get the chlorine thing until i get paid. Will he be okay for a few days?

I got my betta fish yesterday. When I saw it, it was in a tiny container with dividers with two other fish. It took an hour and a half to get home and he was in a bag the whole time. Once home, I put him in a big vase while I read about betta fish. I also dropped a few pellets for it. It spit some of them out. Then, I transfered it to a big pot normally for plants. It haven't eaten today and doesn't respond to me as well as yesterday. It comes up for air every ten or so minutes but mostly it lies in the bottom and doesn't move. Now it's floating near the top, not moving much either. Not at irregular angles. It doesn't respond to me at all. I plan to get a bigger home for it, a plastic tank and some plants. What kind of plants would you suggest? And what about other fishes? Should I act some playmates for him? I didn't know about tap water until after but I wouldn't be able to go to the pet store to get the chlorine thing until i get paid. Will he be okay for a few days?

Favorite Answer

you can leave water sitting out for him for 24 hours and that will work as well as dechlorinator. if you put him in tap water he is probably being burned from the chlorine and honestly i am surprised it didn't kill him.

it usually takes a while for them to respond to you. once they realize you are the source of food they will always be looking out for you.

i suggest a home of about 2 to 2 1/2 gallons. you can get 2 1/2 gallon rectangular aquariums at petsmart for a bout 10 dollars if you are on a budget. get some plants that are fabric leafed that will reach the top of the water. big leaves are good -- they like to rest on the leaves.

bettas sometimes jump so if you are going with a tank with no top you can get plastic canvas in the craft section of walmart or any craft store and cut it to fit the top of a small aquarium.

bettas don't really need filters if you change the water regularly. they do prefer it to be over 75 degrees so if you live someplace where it gets cold you might want to consider a home of at least 5 gallons because its a lot easier to heat in the winter -- they don't make heaters for smaller aquariums.

it might be a while before he will eat food in his new home -- they are moody. you can try to make the food look like a bug drowning -- push it around until it gets his attention. they also seldom turn down frozen bloodworms. thaw them out and hold one in front of his face with some tweezers.

you dont have to buy another tank just go to walmart or petsmart and buy a gold fish bowl and she would be happy that way she can eat and don't worry about gettin attacked! If a female that wasn’t ripe, or ready for spawning, would have entered a males tank, it’s possible that she would’ve been attacked, as non-ripe females are not tolerated within the vicinity of the nest. By not fleeing, a female indicates her readiness to spawn. Yes, some times if you are not careful when trying too breed bettas, the male will attack the female and he can injure the female, the females are much smaller than the males. A Male and a Female: In the wild, females stay clear of males, except during mating. When cohabiting in tanks, males might kill females, and are generally kept apart unless (a) they are juvenile siblings, (b) they are breeding, (c) there is a partition, or (d) the tank is large enough for the female to escape attack. Often, before breeding, breeders use such a container to allow female display without risking harm by the male. Two or more Females: Bettas are not schooling fish, but in a large tank with many hiding spaces, female bettas can cohabit. When two females share a tank, one usually bullies the other, however, four or more females will establish a hierarchy allowing peaceful co-existence, nevertheless, females living in community must be monitored for aggressive females.

Your betta is probably stressed because of being moved so many times recently. I would also guess his water is probably too cold for him which will make his energy levels low.

Five gallon tanks make a great home for a betta in my opinion, but I've found 2.5 gallon tanks at Petco and Petsmart, and they DO sell filters and heaters for them. I bought a filter and heater at Walmart that are rated for 3-5 gallon tanks for about $15 for both.

Things that will keep him active and beautiful in the future:

** CLEAN WATER Do regular water changes: daily or every other day in an unfiltered bowl/vase, or weekly in a small tank, every other week in a 10 gallon. Never use uncholorinated water. Even if you use a bowl, you shouldn't remove your betta and change out all the water and scrub the bowl. Bacteria grows on the surfaces of the tank which is good for your fish.

** WARM WATER Bettas are tropical fish and actually enjoy warmer water than most. Temperatures below 75 or so cause sluggishness and make your fish more suspectible to ich and other parasites and diseases. A heater will keep the temperature comfortable and stable, and they don't cost much.

** GOOD FOOD Bettas are more carnivorous than a of other popular tropicals. They sell special flakes and pellets just for them with different nutrition contents. Also, don't overfeed. Your betta doesn't need more than one flake or two pellets a day or so. There should never be uneaten food on the bottom of the tank.

** APPROPRIATE TANKMATES Most bettas really do make good community fish, but some are happier alone. The only way to know is to try it, and keep a close eye on things in case they don't work out. Don't mix male bettas with other bettas. Don't try fast, nippy fish like large tetras or tiger barbs. Don't try fancy guppies or gouramis. Don't buy anything that will grow big enough to fit your betta in its mouth. And most importantly, don't overcrowd the tank. Fish need their space, and even easygoing, sociable bettas are territorial.

As for plants, just stay away from plastic since betta fins are delicate and tear easily. Silk or real plants will work fine. Bettas like plenty of plants to hide and play in, but don't prefer one type over another really. Except that they do like floating ones above them.

I had a betta that lived for over 4 years. I got him out of the vase (bad ideas) and put him in a 10 galllon tank with fake plants. I used tap water, but you need to get some additives for the water that takes the bad chemicals out. I cannot remember the name, but I went to the local Petsmart and asked the fish department what I needed and they told me. I changed the water about once a month, floated him in a bag in the new water until his "bag water" and the new clean water were the same temp so that he did not get shocked. It sounds like you need some water purifier....ASAP. You might be able to get this suff for easy under $10. try even going to Petsmart.com and see if you can get some "fish tips" for betta fish there, if not CALL first thing tomorrow. Good luck!

I have four betta fish, and yes, i have found that they are much happier with other fish. If alone they will, as you say, float around near the bottom and top most of the time.

Don't worry about him spitting out pellets. He'll be fine. The only real problems I ever faced with my betta fish are funny. I have two females and they used to be too small to swallow pellets. It was funny. I had to crush the pellets up.

The other fish refused pellets and after a few days i was really worried. I resorted to goldfish flakes which she ate happily. She still seemed unhappy though in a bowl by herself so i moved her into my 55 gallon goldfish tank. She is big, happy, and healthy now.

A good idea would be a 10 to 20 gallon tank, fake plants, and a few (3 or 4) small goldfish. A small algae eater (or mystery snail). You shouldn't get goldfish with long fins though. Sometimes betta fish will mistake goldfish with long fins with other betta fish. Male bettas can not be with other male bettas or females (unless mating). Females can be with two or more other females though.

total cost: probably 75 to 100 dollars for a nice set up.

this is betta luxury living however. he would be fine in a 5 gallon with a filter and snail. Heck you could even keep him in a large bowl (though its more work because you have to change the water often.

you decide how much your willing to spend for your betta. i suggest the 10 gallon though with a few play mates.

oh yeah and dont worry about the tap water, he'll be fine until you can afford dechlorinator

i swear its almost impossible to kill a beta

Source(s): experience

I have a betta fish too. When I first got it, it would also spit out the food. But after a while it got used to eating the fish food. Their used to eating the fish food that the petstore feeds them, which is usually blood worms. Dont put your fish in a tank thats too big because their used to living in smaller environments. At least thats what I read in my book about bettas. You can put another FEMALE betta in the tank just make sure you DONT PUT A MALE. The male will attack the female and could kill it. (I almost learned that the hard way.) I usually use the sink water to fill up the tank and I put a protective liquid solution in the water I got from Petco. Any plant would be fine for your fish.

• Tammy

If you don't have the dechlorinator all you need to do is fill a container up with tap water and let it sit out over night. The chemicals will evaporate and be safer for your Betta.

If you want to give him some company be careful what you choose.

They are fighting fish and do not get along well with most fish. Not even a female Betta for very long. That only works when they are ready for breeding and then you sit them side by side and wait for him to build a bubble nest, then you add her and after they mate and she lays her eggs se has to be removed. He takes care of the nest until they hatch and then dad has to be moved out too, he will eat them which is a normal thing in the fish world.

I have mine in with 4 African dwarf frogs, they are the little minis and only get 2 or 3 inches in length. I have also had a golden apple snail and a couple ghost shrimp in there. They all seemed to get along well.

Give him a few days to get acclimated, he should come around.

Buy some drinking water from your local grocery store...never use tap water that has not been treated. If you do use tap water, treat it with the chemicals specially formulated for betta's that you can find at the pet store.

As far as plants, I've never had any in with my bettas. I just have their substrate (the rocks at the bottom) and them. My oldest is 2 1/2 years old. They may like some plants however, and if you don't want the extra work of caring for an aquatic plant, you can get fake plants for your fishies. Just make sure they are silk plants (they feel like cloth) and not plastic to protect your betta's fins. Good luck! Remember, the first few days your betta may have the new home jitters, so be patient and don't feed him over 4 pellets a day

Source(s): I own 5 bettas.

i would get a small 1-2 gallon tank with a air pump. rinse it out good. fish are sensitive to oils and residue that is left on what you might put him in.. About food get some dried blood worms. dont touch the food just tap a little into the cap and dump it in. dont give him to much at first just a couple a day to start with then after a week switch to every other day or two but give him more food each time.

Source(s): experience

tank:

*at least 2.5 gallons if alone, at least 10gallons if tank mates

* heater - 78°F to 82°F

*filter - don't worry too much about current, just put a plant in front of the filter to make the current less strong

*plants - silk or real, doesn't really matter, however bettas like plants that have big wide leaves

tank mates:

stick with peaceful fish, bettas are very timid with fish that aren't betttas.

a small school of tetras or danios usually works well, cory cats are also good.

if your betta lasts until you get the chlorine thing, then you're fine, there's nothing really you can do. don't do any more water changes until then or else you'll be adding more chlorine to the water.

good luck, feel free to email me if you have any more questions.