Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

hot caramel sauce?

does any one have a recipe for the hot caramel sauce they use on ice cream ?

and does anyone know how to make home made toffee?

Favorite Answer

Hot Caramel Sundae Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed

4 tablespoons flour

1 cup boiling water

dash salt

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons cream

vanilla, to taste

PREPARATION:

Mix sugar with flour in saucepan; blend well. Add water and salt. Stir while cooking for 6 to 8 minutes. If too thick add a little more water. Remove from heat; stir in butter, cream, and vanilla to taste.

English Toffee

This tasty toffee is covered in chocolate and sprinkled with nuts - and it won't stick to your teeth.

Ingredients

1 tbsp Plus 2 cups butter (no substitutes), softened, divided

2 cups Sugar

1 tbsp Light corn syrup

1/4 tsp Salt

1 cup Milk chocolate chips

1 cup Chopped pecans

Preparation

Grease a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with 1 Tbsp butter; set aside. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add sugar, corn syrup, and salt; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 295 (hard-crack stage). Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool; about 1 hour.

In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; spread over toffee. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand for 1 hour. Break into bite-sized pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 2 pounds

I actually just saw this on a food network show the other day. It was different, but it works!! The guy just took a can of condensed milk and placed it in a sauce pan that had water in it and just let it simmer in the can. It turned a light carmel color and it tastes very good!! I loved it. I had to try it out after I saw the show. It took about an hour, but it was well worth it!

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/159/Engl...

an illustrated guide to making toffee at home. very useful if you're not used to making candy.

as to caramel sauce...here's my favorite way:

melt down a bag of chewy caramels (like worthers) in a sauce pan

add a 3 tablespoons of heavy cream

add 1 teaspoon of brandy and cook until it bubbles and runs smooth.

remove from heat and stir in 2 tbsp of frozen butter (chopped into small pieces), one small piece at a time (like making a burr blanc sauce).*

spoon over ice cream and enjoy.

*stir in one small piece and stir until it melts, then add another piece and so forth until all the butter is used up and the sauce looks creamy.

Hot fudge. I hope she prefers it too, but if she wanted caramel sauce, that's fine by me. haha