Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

Laying Sod?

Hi,

I spreaded Seeds in my backyard, but im getting my driveway extended in the front. The Front lawn isnt close to perfect but not bad compare to houses on my street. I'm thinking of laying down Sod when the driveway is done, but had few questions to ask.

Do i have to dig out the old grass? Could i just lay the new sod on top of the older grass? I also went to home depot etc but their sods didnt look much green to me but if i bring it home, water it for few days should it get better? Or should i try to find much greener sods as possible? Any places where somoene can recomment me a place here in toronto?

thanks

Favorite Answer

Yes, you'll need to dig out the old grass. DON'T buy the sod from home depot that's sitting around in the parking lot! When you're ready for the sod you order what you need from home depot or any nursery that has a sod vendor. They'll have it cut fresh and delivered the day you need it so it'll be nice and green and gorgeous!

Yes, you'll have to remove the old sod first. You may be able to rent a sod cutter, that would allow you to cut out the old sod to the exact width of the new rolls of sod if you only need to do a small section. I've seen them here in Wisconsin at rental places. You'll also want to use a lawn roller to embed the sod into the dirt well.

Oh, be sure to put the "green side" up when installing. Just kidding. Good luck.

• LEC

This time of year seed will grow fairly fast and you can get several different kinds that just do patch work or fill in for large areas and you don't need to do much in way of prep. You do have to take up old grass and till up ground for new sod. Don't worry too much about how green the sod is at HD, once you get it down, just water it really well for a couple of weeks, add a bit of Miracle Grow and it will look great. Much more work but also faster results.

i don't think you can put new sod on old grass and most likely will have to dig up what you have. when your driveway is done why not put some dirt and grass seed down in the plaxes where there is no grass? You'll have to keep it heavily watered cause birds like the seed but thats what i did and i don't know about a place in T.O. but Hamilton sod has amazingly beautiful sod.

I had no luck with sod or plugs until I had it done by a pro and put in a sprinkler system. I had to water every day for 30 days to get it established but I'm in Texas. You have a lot of cool weather options where you are. But you have to water really well in the beginning to get it established. I installed St Augustine which is thirsty. Also you can overseed with rye and get a really good affect.