Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

leash laws, Canada?

I have a neighbor that lets his dog loose. He is near, but she wanders away and while not vicious (or so she seems) she does not return when called and runs to people and other animals.

Here is my question. My dog (13 years old, 120lbs and almost blind) is wonderful, very friendly to people and cats, but he hates this dog. She runs to him and he tries to get off his leash to fight her, and she's more than willing to oblige.

I dont weigh much more than him, and even my husband has trouble holding him back and getting this dog away.

Now this guy, just calls his dog and doesnt seem to care. We have asked him repeatedly to leash his dog, or at least to grab her before she can run to him.

I am worried about what will happen if this guy's dog gets hurt by mine. He is not great with other dogs, so we muzzle him (Halti collar) just incase, and of course a leash at all times.

What do I do? I have to walk my dog! I cant even go another way, its the only way i can go.

Favorite Answer

Hi, I have studied leash laws in Canada and I can tell you there is only one exception to the leash law in public space and that is a working dog. Police, assistance and search and rescue dogs are exempt from the leash requirement while working otherwise all dogs must be leashed in public and someone must be holding the leash. Incidentally they are also exempt from poop and scoop laws but that is a different matter.

I would suggest you send a letter by registered mail (keep a copy for your records) asking the owner to please leash his dog because of your concerns. Also include a copy of your local by-laws. Inform him of the issue with aggression and briefly mention that if this continues you will contact animal control.

This will protect you in court if you have a fight. Also if this continues start phoning the local animal control until they come. It might take a few calls, ask your neighbors to also call.

If he ignores animal control or you don't get a fair response call the police. If your neighbor refuses the police then the police can charge him with a more serious crime of refusing to follow the lawful instruction of a peace officer which is a crime under the criminal code of Canada.

Good luck it drives me nuts when people have their out of control dogs off leash. My service dog is always on leash, even when I can't hold the leash. He is always under my control but it doesn't stop those people from letting their aggressive and friendly dogs come up and jump all over him. I call the police because it is illegal to interfere with the function of a working animal.

Laws vary by town just like they do here in the States but the general rule anywhere even if leash laws aren't in force is that a dog is under strict "voice control" - meaning that an owner has control of their dog and their dog is trained not to run off.

If your dog attacked theirs then you'd probably end up in a messy lawsuit. A lawsuit you'd probably win since you're restraining your dog and he isn't. But still - you don't want to run the risk of either dog - or yourself - getting injured.

You've already tried talking to the neighbour but he obviously doesn't give a damn. What's bad is it's not just you or your dog he doesn't care about - he doesn't care about his own either. His dog could easily get hit by a car running over to the other dogs. Call your local animal control or SPCA. They will file a complaint against him and/or issue him a citation for having a "dog at large". This will probably **** him off but you have every right to do this - for the best interest of yourself AND both dogs.

• john n

hi yes there are leash laws in canada. i live just and hour south of ottawa in a small town. you can call your bylaw officer and make a complaint since your neigbour is not doing the right thing . it is too bad because its not the other dogs fault or yours he is just trying to protect you.you can also call the humane society and make a report about what is happening and they should be able to advise you on the laws and who to contact. I always keep my dogs leashed and at home to make sure they are safe. good luck.

The first thing you need to know is what kind of training you and your dog need. After that locate some good trainers that will take you and your dog, not just the dog. Learn how to train your dog https://tr.im/wgA3K

In this special presentation you'll discover exactly why it's so important to start training your dog the right way. Important for you, important for your family, and, most of all, important for your dog! And It'll give you some great hints, tips, and advice to help you turn your dog into the best behaved, happiest, running, jumping, slipper-fetching best pal you always wanted.

These are the very same tips that I spent years perfecting, the very same tips that have worked for thousands of dog lovers just like you.

Proper training and socialization are some of your dog's most basic needs. Learn how to set a basic foundation before you begin to train your dog https://tr.im/doglessons

At first, dog training can seem pretty overwhelming, especially if this is your first dog. Truth be told, training your dog is a very big project. However, if you take it step by step, you will find the task to be far less daunting.

im sorry but you have repeatly told your neighbor about his dog and he ignores your attempts to keep his dog away from yours might sound mean but if your dog hurts his then he can do nothing to you, the leash law will protect you, i know you dont want anything to happen to his dog so carry mace, as soon as the dog runs up to your dog spray her, it may sound cruel but think of it this way i would rather have the dog uncomfortable than god for bid the dog or even your dog being seriously hurt in a fight. hope this helps

the law is dogs must have a leash on at all times, unless it is in a fenced backyard or indoors. if this continues, notify your neighbors that the two dogs do not get along and you are afraid one of them will get hurt.