?

If raisins evolved from grapes then why are there still grapes.?

I hope everybody enjoyed answering. There are actually some really good answers.

I think I will put it out for voting.

Nope, I changed my mind. Freeman has such an excellent answer that it deserves the points and voting would likely fail him. Other answers were very good as well. I wish there was a way to award for more than one answer.

Favorite Answer

Incorrect connotation, from the biology side of the equation - one of the most respected evolutionary biologists has defined biological evolution as follows:

"In the broadest sense, evolution is merely change, and so is all-pervasive; galaxies, languages, and political systems all evolve. Biological evolution ... is change in the properties of populations of organisms that transcend the lifetime of a single individual. The ontogeny of an individual is not considered evolution; individual organisms do not evolve.

The changes in populations that are considered evolutionary are those that are inheritable via the genetic material from one generation to the next. Biological evolution may be slight or substantial; it embraces everything from slight changes in the proportion of different alleles within a population (such as those determining blood types) to the successive alterations that led from the earliest protoorganism to snails, bees, giraffes, and dandelions." (1)

It is important to note that biological evolution refers to populations and not to individuals and that the changes must be passed on to the next generation. In practice this means that,

Evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations.

This is a good working scientific definition of evolution; one that can be used to distinguish between evolution and similar changes that are not evolution. Another common short definition of evolution can be found in many textbooks:

"In fact, evolution can be precisely defined as any change in the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next." (2)

One can quibble about the accuracy of such a definition (and we have often quibbled on these newsgroups) but it also conveys the essence of what evolution really is. When biologists say that they have observed evolution, they mean that they have detected a change in the frequency of genes in a population. (Often the genetic change is inferred from phenotypic changes that are heritable.) When biologists say that humans and chimps have evolved from a common ancestor they mean that there have been successive heritable changes in the two separated populations since they became isolated.

Unfortunately the common definitions of evolution outside of the scientific community are different. For example, in the Oxford Concise Science Dictionary we find the following definition:

"evolution: The gradual process by which the present diversity of plant and animal life arose from the earliest and most primitive organisms, which is believed to have been continuing for the past 3000 million years."

This is inexcusable for a dictionary of science. Not only does this definition exclude prokaryotes, protozoa, and fungi, but it specifically includes a term "gradual process" which should not be part of the definition. More importantly the definition seems to refer more to the history of evolution than to evolution itself. Using this definition it is possible to debate whether evolution is still occurring, but the definition provides no easy way of distinguishing evolution from other processes. For example, is the increase in height among Caucasians over the past several hundred years an example of evolution? Are the color changes in the peppered moth population examples of evolution? This is not a scientific definition.

Standard dictionaries are even worse.

"evolution: ...the doctrine according to which higher forms of life have gradually arisen out of lower.." - Chambers

"evolution: ...the development of a species, organism, or organ from its original or primitive state to its present or specialized state; phylogeny or ontogeny" - Webster's

What is correct? Well, my friend that's what dialog is all about, it's it?

Good news though, raisins are grapes minus the majority of the water (e.g.: raisins are dried grapes.)!

Source(s): (1) - Douglas J. Futuyma in Evolutionary Biology, Sinauer Associates 1986 (2) - Helena Curtis and N. Sue Barnes, Biology, 5th ed. 1989 Worth Publishers, p.974

"I am so tired of these raisin and grape questions. I have had to read like 6 of them this week but I will explain it one more time (since I love to read my own writings here). Raisins did not come from grapes they have a common ancestor. Both raisins and grapes are still evolving just so slow you can't see it. There are many types of grapes; white, red, muscadine, etc. SO just accept that you come from a grape and quit asking stupid questions"

BTW, love the pic

Raisins are dried grapes not something different. When your 20 your the grape when your 75 your the raisin. Your not a grape your whole life nor do you as a grape give birth to a raisin you give birth to another grape. Is it hot in here????

It's a mystery known only to God. It's the same thing with plums and prunes. Nobody understands how prunes evolved from plums. It's just another one of God's great mysteries.

Raisins didn't evolve from grapes. Raisins are just dried up grapes like prunes are dried plums. There are raisins, and there are grapes. Two different things.

• R S

Raisins are not evolved from grapes. It is prepared from grapes.

Raisins need to come from somewhere, just like prunes come from plums.

because raisons are just a speciation of grapes

they are just dried out graps but we love grapes as much as raisons I think.

rasins are dried grapes not evolved grapes