I'm about to get a MAC, should I?

also, should i be paying for RAM upgrades and care protection plan? i only use it for word, excel, video viewing and internet browsing.

Update:

i know of the less virus attacks advantage and i will be studying music so probably be using the laptop for garage band for saving files of those nature, do u still reckon i need a RAM upgrade?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Ignore the pro PC guys. Apple has the top rated laptop computers, check www.consumerreports.com. They are top rated for battery life and tech support. Some of the main advantages are: almost all the software you need is included (iLife has iDvd, iMovie, Quicktime, iTunes, iPhoto and more). You get Garage Band and Safari. You will need to add another word processor, either Word or Open Office. It comes wi-fi ready out of the box. One of the main advantages, you don't need to worry about viruses. There are no MacOs X viruses/worms/malware etc. out. You don't have to slow your computer down with anti-virus software and do daily scans and updates. Make sure you have at least 1 gb of ram and if you are worried, get the protection plan.

• 1 decade ago

If you have the budget then go for it. The quality of their hardwares is on a par with hi-end IBM stuff. Mac has less (or almost none) viruses, so it's quite safe to browse even the deadliest websites out there, because most viruses made for Windows based environment. Mac just lacks of softwares compared with Windows, so it really depends on your field of use. Even you can install Windows Vista/XP on it with Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop.

But if you want to save some money better get some PC with Vista, not XP!

Bigger RAM the better you handle applications and big files. But if you only used like you said, the standard memory is more than enough. Care protection plan will be good too, since most of computers really has problem after 1 year full of usage.

• Elbert
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The stock RAM will be good enough for the type of usage your listing. If you're going to use some of the iLife apps. you should add more RAM yourself because Apple will charge more for the upgrade. The cheapest way to speed up a Mac is by adding RAM. I highly recommend you purchase Apple Care within a year of your Mac purchase.

• 1 decade ago

In buying a Mac you're going to pay more but you get much better quality of hardware than the equivalent PC. Yes, more RAM is better. Their Apple Care plan is quite good and likely worthwhile. Be sure to read up on what all is covered by the plan. Usually I don't recommend such warranty extensions but theirs is good.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

MAC's are good, but pricey, as long as you are going to see the use over a normal PC then its all good.

Always get extra RAM and protection if possible, well worth the money, especially for the protection plan

• 1 decade ago

If your a college student or going to use the computer for your job, then a Mac would be a good thing.

If your just planning on getting one to mess around on then don't spend that much money.. I really like Dell's. We have 2 Dell laptops that work perfectly and we bought at a reasonable price.

• 1 decade ago

NO, Macs are overpriced and they tend to do less then regular PC's. What you get with a Mac is a easy to use computer, but at 2x the cost (on average, with similar specs) is it worth. I personally enjoy working with computers so i'm a pc guy. Only buy a mac if you have money to waste.

• 1 decade ago

why get a mac in the first place if that's all you plan on using it for. macs are powerful enough to handle top line graphic applications, and would be a waste if just used for those windows based programs, and internet. save your money.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. Instead, you should get a Toshiba Satellite M65-S9092.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.