Are sumo wrestlers sex symbols in japan?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Update : Always see them surrounded by hot girls like they were Jay-Z or something
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Maybe not sex symbols, but the high-ranked ones are certainly celebrities, and yes, they do seem to get some hot babes.

Source:

TMS

Asker's Rating & Comment

4 out of 5
Better to be famous than to be pretty
  • Comment

Other Answers (12)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • askawow 47 answered 7 years ago
    they are not sex symbols
    absolutely not lol
    but there are lots of sumo fun and top sumo wrestlers are celeb in japan. their success earn him respect and admiration.
    • Comment
  • flemmingbee2 answered 7 years ago
    Stiggy is right. Also, up close they look surprisingly athletic, not at all just 'fat' as they seem on TV. I never used to think of them as sexy, but changed my mind after I happen to walk into one and see how well built and fit he was. Now I can easily see that some find them sexually attractive.

Source(s):

Tokyo resident
    • Comment
  • Jackie-o answered 7 years ago
    I was watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and when he was in Japan in some Sumo district, he mentioned that they were sex symbols. But it seems that the majority here is saying they're not...

Source(s):

Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern
    • Comment
  • mamesmumma answered 7 years ago
    Yep I concur with celebrity not sex symbol comments. Celebrities are so much more here than back home. You think Hollywood stars have it made, here a Celeb says they like a certain brand of something it's sold out the next day.
    Also you'll find a lot of Sumo these days are foreigners, and that too makes them 'cool'.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Selena answered 7 years ago
    No!!! They are highly respected people for their achievements!
    • Comment
  • Mocha answered 7 years ago
    Absolutely not...
    They are respected as national sport athletes, but not considered as sexy...not at all.
    You see these kind of girls in everywhere who likes guys for their money and status...
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Jeff L answered 7 years ago
    No any sex symbols of sumo wrestlers.
    It's quintessence of Japanese culture,sacred sport in Nippon!!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • seamonkeywater answered 7 years ago
    I have been told that they are because Sumo is Japan's national sport and the wrestlers are the stars of the sport. Its sort of like how some women view football players in the states. Although they may not be on the top of the list of sex symbols they are on that list. More than likely men of power, or pop/actors are on the top of the list in sex symbolism in Japan; just like any other country.

I do find it fascinating that these men, despite their size have no troubles finding a love life. But I guess its good.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • twikfat answered 7 years ago
    they are famous celebrities. Japan people dont really like chubby men, but Sumos are not "fat" in their eyes. They are respected symbols of Japan. Anyone famous will have women having off them.

Source(s):

live in Japan
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• Belie answered 7 years ago
    No, but they're famous and have money.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Adam answered 7 years ago
    Absolutely not.