What happens when you are charged with misdemeanor child endangerment, and its your first offense?

My husband has been charges with misdemeanor child endangerment. It is his first offense. He was driving home with our 4 kids after work, he had just picked them up from the sitter. My Infant daughter started screaming and my oldest daughter screamed "Oh my God" He freaked out and started screaming at our daughters 7yrs and 9 yrs old. "What the hell is going on" I mean he can't see she is in the back and he is driving. Then he reached back and started smacking the girls and socked one of them because they were not answering. He scared them obviously, and my oldest had a bruise. She went to school the next day and then CPS was called and a report was filed. Now 4 months later the DA has charged my husband with 2 counts of misdemeanor child endangerment, one for my oldest the other for my youngest. Will they take the kids away and put my husband in jail for a mistake. He is attending anger management classes to help him deal with stress, and he has apologized. He is not violent

Favorite Answer

Most of the answers are dead wrong. First offense, last offense doesn't matter. Being charged puts you on the radar and honestly I think he should be dealt with. As for if you can lose your kids or not, yes you can. CPS can take the children on the first account. It is all a matter of finding.

• ?5 years agoReport

Yes the radar, the radar of get into everyones business because I have no of my own or because I am perfect..

At the most would make your husband continue with anger management classes and may have to attend some parenting classes.

• Melius

I'm sure the judge will take into account that he is doing something to change the situation. They won't take the kids away from you because of his actions but he might have to move out if the judge isn't convinced he's changing.

misdemeanor is not usually followed by jail time but possible fines and like you said anger managment. I am sure that CPS will have follow up visits..

Was this really a mistake? Kids are a precios gift from God, and they are not for mistreating. For him to be taking anger management classes is commendable....... But you need to understand, that the violence came from some where. If it happened once, it can happen again.......

He needs to re-build his trust with your children....... There is always a consenquence to our actions.

He obviously IS violent!!! A mistake??? Just wait till it is you that he gives a bruise to... When they hear his charge he will get knocked out in jail!!!

I think he needs to be in jail for a few years or more.

you just answered it...............it's just a minor offense....he'll be fine. Kids will stay. Felony is when you start worrying.

The judge may through it out,most times they do.

Source(s): experience I knocked the shyt out of my neighbors son

What happens depends on what he's sentenced to.