kristin b asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Cat Training? Scratching.?

My cat likes to take leaps at things and misses, scratching and destroying furnature, etc.

Is there a way to keep her from climbing/scratching things? Will declawing help with this?

(She doesn't use her scratch post)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • KM
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Keep her nails trimmed. Blunt claws inflict substantially less damage than sharp claws do.

First you need to provide her with an appropriate place to scratch - a scratching post. A scratching post needs to be at least 30 inches tall (so an adult cat can fully stretch out when scratching on it), very sturdy so it doesn't wobble or tip over, and should be made with sisal rope, sisal material, or looped carpeting such as berber (plush carpeting should be avoided - it doesn't give the cat any resistance to pull against). SmartCat makes an AWESOME scratching post. It's 32" tall and stable as a rock. It's made out of sisal material, which lasts much longer than sisal rope. I have one and it's stood up to my 7 fully clawed cats with minimal visible wear and tear for the last three years. You can buy it from their website: http://www.esmartcat.com/shopping/Ultimate_Scratch...

Of course, if you're handy just make your own scratching post!

Once you know you've got a good post place it in a well-trafficked area of your home, not in a remote corner. You may want to start by putting it near one of her problem areas - if she's scratching the side of the couch, put the post right next to it. Make the couch undesirable to scratch on (I usually put a few strips of packing tape or double sided sticky tape on the inappropriate surface to discourage them) and then make the post desirable by rubbing some catnip on it. Encourage her to scratch by dangling toys by the scratching post and scratching on it with your fingernails. Avoid physically placing her paws on the post because most cats do not appreciate this and it makes a negative association for them and the scratching post. You can also pick up a cardboard scratching box from a pet supply store to see if she likes that more. These boxes are filled with corrugated cardboard and lie flat on the ground. They usually only run about $7-15 and once the cat has torn up one side you can just flip the cardboard over.

You may also want to consider vinyl nail caps. Vinyl nail caps are claw-shaped but hollow and you glue them over the top of the existing nail. This creates a very blunt claw that really can't do any damage. The nail caps fall off every 4-6 weeks and must be repalced. Several nail cap companies exist including SoftPaws (www.softpaws.com) and SoftClaws (www.softclaws.com).

If you're still having difficulties, contact Cats International. Cats International is a non-profit feline behavior group. They give advice to cat owners free of charge and guarantee success with scratching problems without declawing. They have some scratching articles on their website (www.catsinternational.org) and they also list their hotline number so you may call them directly.

Source(s): 2nd year vet tech student
  • Krista
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You have to _train_ a cat to use a scratching post, and find a type that your cat likes. Some prefer sisal rope. Others prefer the corragated cardboard type that sit on the floor. Use catnip on it, praise her to the sky when she uses it, and encourage her to use it by gently taking her over and rubbing her paws on it anytime she scratches something inappropriate.

Also, scratch it yourself while she's watching. She'll get the hang of it.

Declawing won't stop her from leaping, though it'll probably increase her misses. Cats walk on their toes. Declawing chops the toe off at the first knuckle. It's illegal in most civilized nations and considered to be animal cruelty.

• 1 decade ago

Everytime your cat does this say NO loud and clear and tap it's nose with 2 fingers. Catch it's attention. My cat doesn't scratch furniture anymore.

• 1 decade ago

yes it helps alot as long as its an inside cat i have 2 cats and had it done im glad to

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.