MJ247 asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

i am going to a Sikh funeral and i was wondering...?

what should i expect? i am not sikh and i was just wondering what i should do (or not do) and how long they are. i know i'm not supposed to where red or black but what eles should i know. i DO know that it is not at temple just a regular funeral home.

Favorite Answer

Any color can be worn. Sikhs know God created all colors and cultures. Sikhs=Learners. Sikhism is not ritual based at all. It's simply performing ceremonies from the heart. There's no such thing as you have to do this or that, although if you will be going to the temple, you may want to take a small bandana to cover your head (it's the same piece of cloth to cover the head for the guys and ladies).

if you see that the majority of them are wearing white then you'll know that they conform more to cultural aspects than Sikhism, because Sikhism does not require any specific color for any event--just follow your own taste or feelings--whatever you want to wear. You can wear the regular type of clothing you wear when you go to any regular funeral (blouse, dress pants) or just anything.

by the way, who said you are not supposed to wear black or red? I don't think anybody would want to wear a bright color like red, but black is defiantly fine.

you may email me if you still have questions

Source(s): i'm a Sikh
  • sulser

Sikh Funeral

I don't know the answer, but I know how you can get it.

1. Call the funeral home and ask them what to expect. If they have hosted Sikh funerals before, they'll know.

2. Call the local Sikh temple and tell the person who answers the phone that you need advice on what to wear or bring to a Sikh funeral. They will be happy to tell you. If you get a grumpy person, wait an hour and call back.

I have always had good luck, when going to ceremonies in religions I'm not familiar with, by just calling up the temple or church and asking them. They are usually pleased that someone cares that much about being polite, and have always explained their customs to me with a lot of kindness.

Thank you for teaching ME about the red & black, which I was not aware of. :)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): sikh funeral wondering: https://shortly.im/deAx3

Whatever you do, don't wear red. White's perfect. That's all I remember from a time one of my former classmate's dad died. My brother went to an Indian school, and he says, they do white for funerals. If the family is a western oriented family, then go ahead and wear black, because they would understand that you were expressing your grief as best you know how.

Ask the ushers if there are any what you can do and where you can sit, don't just assume stuff.

• Janice

Though I didn't attend the actual funeral, I was invited to the "Gurdwara" (where Sikh worship) a few days later. There my Sikh friend asked me to wear a sort of bandana on the forehead.

Dress as you normally would for any funeral. Respect their religious beliefs and how they treat the dead. Evey Sikh that I have ever known was always respectful of those who were not of the same beliefs as them.

There is nothing to worry, Wear any thing as you like, & see how they perform their customs reminding God. Sikhs are broad minded & they give respect to each one whether one belongs to them or not. So go without any fear & experience

another truth of life.

It will be about 1 hour long. It may be longer if family is a well established one; then family members or friends will want to make a speach.

Body is kept in a hall for family/friends to pay last respects. Expect to sit in the hall for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then its taken to cremation chamber. That may be 15 minutes. There may or may not be a book signing. Then people will start leaving. Follow the crowd.

Generally there aren't any speaches.

Dress modestly and preferably in white.

Its a okay gesture to put your arm arround the family members to show you support and grief;

i hope you don't get "sihk" from the food...