Is wrong to answer a question with another question?

Why? Because many people use another question as a mirror instead of trying to answer. Ex. Why you believe in God? the answer: Why not?

Favorite Answer

Socrates did it all the time - and so did my Dad. It's how one learns - and the best way to teach anything beyond a trade skill, because it leads to self-conviction. It's also a marvelous way to help people change their mind, or die on their own swords! The ones who don't, prove they've thought about what they're talking about, so in that case the questioner learns. A good bet each way! What could possibly be wrong in that. But one has to be adroit with a Jesuit - they're trained in it.

Some people complain if the sun is too bright. I try to be fair with choosing BAs. I've gotten some excellent answers to many of my questions. I check out my contacts first but from time to time someone else gives an answer more to my liking. It's not like this is winner take all competition. What can I say~ some just never grow up and have fun. Have a pleasant day and don't let it get you down. You're too nice, my friend~

• Depends. Even so, I am not sure that answering a question with another question can be classified as right or wrong.

Back to "depends." Maybe the answerer needs clarification on the question. Maybe also the answerer means the interrogative response rhetorically.

It is also a way to avoid answering.

I still do not know whether "right" and "wrong" are appropriate terms for any of these scenarios.

• Jen

I try hard not to answer a question with another question on Answers; though sometimes you just wonder what some people are really asking and why. I don't believe it's wrong to ask for more information as long as you are willing to follow up.

No. Some questions need clarification. Other times, one may answer with a non-sensical question to indicate they do not wish to discuss the subject. Other times, one may want the person asking the question to find the answer themselves, where asking a question in response may help guide them to an answer.

As for the example you gave, if the person answered "Why not?" I would infer that the individual did not wish to drawn into a debate about religion. While it may annoy the asker of the initial question, the response itself is not "wrong."

This is not to say that a question in response is always appropriate or helpful, or both.

No! This avenue of Q's and A's is just as much for fun as any other reason. That's a misapplication of the word wrong.

Sometimes a question can be a real answer that inspires the imagination. Otherwise, it is right to take such answers all in good humor.

Yes, in most cases.

However in some cases the question can be misleading, oftentimes someone with biased views may take incorrect views as a given and base logical argument upon them, in these cases the one answering the question may not accept the premises as true and cannot proceed with the argumentation.

Not necessarily. For example, one person asked what would be a good investment for them today? Before that question could be answered, one would need to know what age they were, what other investments they had, their family situation, their risk tolerance, did they own a home, etc., and that would need to be questioned before a reasonable answer could be given.

Do your siblings often answer you this way? Or is it that you are trying to learn the art of answering a question with a question. Have you been speaking with my daughter? She is the master of answering question with a question. Bet you didn't know that?LOL

It's not right or wrong to answer a question with another question. It's just a way of understanding and clarifying or having a sense of humor.

Also, it's a person's freedom to answer as they please as long as they are not hurting anyone.

Here are the lyrics to Why Can't We Be Friends:

Why can't we be friends (4x)

I seen ya, I seen ya, I seen ya 'round for a long long time

I really, I really, I really remember when you drank my wine

Why can't we be friends (4x)

I seen ya, I seen ya, I seen ya walkin' down in Chinatown

I called ya, I called ya, I called but you did not look around

I pay my, I pay my, I pay my money to the welfare line

I seen ya, I seen ya, I seen ya standing in it every time

Why can't we be friends (4x)

The color, the color, the color of your skin don't matter to me

As long as, as long as, long as we can live in harmony

I kinda, I kinda, I kinda, like to be the president

And I could, and I could, and I could show you how your money's spent

Why can't we be friends (4x)

Sometimes I don't speak right

But did I know what I was talking about

I know you're working for the CIA

They wouldn't have you in the mafia

Why can't we be friends (4x)