Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

what is the best food for my pitbull?

please not to pricy i ahve a 10 month red mix whith blue pit and i want to know what is the best food for him

Best Answer

proplan, propremium, i have used those. even a generic food like ole roy's high performance brand is good. you need to look at the protein content and fat content. that's the most important thing. anything with a 21% protine or higher and a fat content of at least 10-14% is good. i use to feed mine pedigree and puppy pedigree (higher in nutrition), but i am using ole roy high performance right now it is 27% protein and 15% fat content. (much higher than pedigree!) and i get 50lbs. for about 16 bucks at walmart!. go into your dog food isle and look at the bags persentiges and compare. good luck.

Try Authority Large Breed Puppy its a rather inexpensive Premium meanig it has no by product and not alot of corn or wheat if any at all. It is about $23-$25 for a 40lbs bag which isn't bad considering he will eat about 30%-50% less food then on Purina or Iams or even Pedigree. Try to stay away from Purina bcz most of there foods have by-products or alot of corn. though ProPlan is really good yet a tad bit expensive.

Source(s): PetSmart Associate, Training to become a Vet Tech
  • Lady M

Diamond Naturals brand lamb and rice is a fairly affordable food with no wheat no corn and no by products. Its not an ideal food but it is probably one of the most affordable of the no wheat/corn/by products type. Around $24 for a 40lb bag.

You may want to look at the chemical preservatives in Dads brand foods (and treats), research and avoid them.

Any Purina products I have found to be the best. Digestable, high quality and affordable. He's not quite a puppy anymore, so you could go to the Purina Dog Chow. About 14$ for a 22 pound bag. Good luck.

It's a matter of preference. A lot of the answers were good ones. I went onto the site to look at Canidae because I've seen a lot of people recommend it, and it's first ingredient is chicken meal, not chicken. I'm not too sure. I have always fed pedigree and my dogs are very healthy, not overweight, have great coats, etc.

Pit-bulls need foods that are high in nutrition. I dont know why exactly thats just what I was told. Mine love beneful and pedigree which i think are pretty good,but some people say otherwise.

Please don't listen to any of the previous suggestions. All of the aforementioned foods are extremely low-quality and contain indigestible fillers like corn. Canidae makes great dog food, and while it is slightly more pricey, you actually feed less to your dog because it contains higher-quality ingredients and your dog absorbs more nutrients. It's also nicer in the clean-up department because more nutrients absorbed means less waste (poop) to pick up. Also, check out http://www.dogfodproject.com and http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com .

hi, i know that there are alot of expensive dog foods out there, but for our pits it's what we can afford that week. so far we have been feeding them DADS it's $5.00. we want to give them purina for puppies, but 14.00 a bag does not fit into the budget.

maybe you should ask michael vick?

your enemys