Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

Which engineering major is least difficult?

I know all engineering majors are hard, but I would just like to know which one is least difficult. Here's a list. Please order them from hardest to easiest.

* Aerospace Engineering

* Bioengineering

* Industrial Engineering

* Chemical Engineering

* Civil and Environmental Engineering

* Electrical Engineering

* Computer Engineering

* Mechanical Engineering

I'm going in as a chemical engineering major but I'm having doubts. I think I will be able to handle it. I got a 5 on my AP Chemistry exam and a 4 on my AP Calculus BC Exam, and a 5 on my AP Computer Science exam. I also got a 5 on my AP Biology exam so I am actually thinking about Bioengineering. I like biology. Does anyone think that I will make it? Should I drop chemical for bioengineering? Do Bioengineers get good job opportunities?

Best Answer

first of, in my experience there is no engineering field thats more or less difficult than other fields. every engineering discipline presents different sets of problems, challenges and risks but the goal always is to make life better for humanity.

please do not study a major just because its easy. u must make sure that it is something u love doing, 4 yrs is a long time to waste if u find out u hate ur major at the end, and yes there have been people like this.

whats essential is to absolutely love wat u do, discover what u r passionate about and u better have fun in your career coz u will probably be doing it for the rest of ur life.

The most important thing is to Keep your GPA above 3.5 otherwise you will have a hard time finding a job these days ( when companies say they look at extracurricular activites for people with lower GPA, that's a bunch of bullcrap, when my company hires people, first and foremost we look at GPA, and the cutoff is 3.4 ) so no use staying in any major if ur GPA is gonna suck.

bioengineers get good jobs , i believe most companies prefer people with graduate degrees so get a masters too if u can.

I must add here that anybody with an undergraduate engineering background can enroll in an Industrial Engineering Master's degree program and they wouldn't find it very difficult to catch up because there is rarely any math involved. Just alot of management and business courses

and one last thing, what the person below me said is wrong, Civil Engineers is the most riskiest and if an P.E engineering manager signed off on blue prints, he/she is still responsible for their design yrs later. real life example, A shopping mall collapsed in South Korea and the engineer that signed off on it 20 or so years earlier got sued and jailed. imagine that happening to u,

and who's responsible to do maintenance on that bridge in minneapolis ?

• wini

Easiest Engineering Major

Easiest Engineering Degree

You might want to think of it like this. Do you ever want to get your Engineering License and become a Professional Engineer who can go out and open your own shop?

i don't have the stats in front of me, but Mechanical and Electrical Engineers are much more likely to pass the PE exam. Most other branches of Engineering just don't cover enough for you to become a good general engineer.

I think Civil is third, I think. With a chemical engineering degree, you would probably have a hard time passing a PE exam.

I would consider Mechanical the hardest because we actually study all branches of engineering. but I'm sure I'd have a fight with EE's over that.

But really the idea of harder can be subjective. I found chemistry harder than any of the physics and physical sciences.

When i was in college, we once had a combined materials science course, half ME's and half ChemE's. When we were covering stress's and strain's and stuff, they were all scratching their heads and we were laughing. But when we got to chemical equations, it was their turn to laugh at us. They were ripping though these chemical reactions like they were nothing and leaving us in the dust.

of course, industrail engineering is not really engineering and is really being in factory management. There is almost no math or science and a lot of general business courses.

And do not let the fact that you scored slightly higher on one exam or another be a guide to your whole life.

Also, the first year or so at any engineering college will have you taking mostly general courses, not so many in your core, so you will still have time to switch if you want. I started in Applied Math (yeah, me an one other frehman, lol) but switched to ME after freshman year, inspired by other students and friends in the dorm.

I wish you all the luck, bro

I'm an Industrial & Operations Engineering ("In-and-Out Easy", haha) undergrad and it's not too bad. It's not as easy as they say though. My housemate is a Mechanical Engineer and he seems to have a much tougher time with his work and also spends a lot more time on it. I'm going to get a Masters in Biomedical though, and I'm anticipating it to be muuuch harder. However it will be worth it because there are many many great job opportunities. So obviously I would recommend that field if you think you can do it. You got good AP scores so I'm sure you can handle it, you must be fairly smart. It's all about putting in the effort really, and if you can do that it is definitely worth it. Go with what interests you and that will be the easiest. If I had to rank them, however, based on what I've gathered in the last three years of engineering, I would put it like this:

(hardest to easiest):

Nuclear & Radiological Sciences

Biomedical

Aerospace

Electrical & Computer Science (my school combines them)

Mechanical

Chemical

Materials Science

Civil & Environmental

Industrial & Operations

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

* Aerospace Engineering

* Bioengineering

* Industrial Engineering

* Chemical Engineering

* Civil and...

Source(s): engineering major difficult: https://shortly.im/DOYo8

From your list, I'd say Industrial Engineering is the least complex. However, I would encourage you to do some volunteering, job shadowing, and maybe an internship or co-op in order to find a job (even if it is not in the engineering field) where you enjoy the day to day tasks and schedule. I always tell people, don't go to college to find a major. Find a job you want, find out what degree you need to get that job, then go to college and take the major you need to get that degree. Find your job first, then pick your major and put in the work necessary to get that degree and you will end up much happier when you are doing the job you chose for 40 years, rather than the one you got stuck with due to the major you ended up choosing on a whim!

Source(s): Recent Civil Engineering Graduate and Transportation Engineer

Don't worry about it yet. I would just pick the field that sounds the funniest for now and stick with it. Most engineering colleges are set up such that all engineering students basically take the same courses for the first two or three semesters. Even if you change your field of engineering after your sophomore year you won't be too far behind and you should be able to graduate on time.By that time you should have a better grasp by your strengths and weaknesses.

Also if your interested in bioengineering or chemical engineering go find professors in these fields and politely ask them about their what they do and their research. If something catches your eye, then ask if there is a project that you can help out on. My experience has been that most professors are happy to take on undergraduates and if your lucky they might even pay you.

I'm a Civil Engineer. When I went to college I shared my room on campus with a Mechanical and Electrical Engineer students. Every time I'd take a look at their work it looked impossible compared to mine. I don't know about Chemical, but Civil is much easier than Mechanical or Electrical

Chemical Engineering

Electrical Engineering

Computer Engineering

Bioengineering

Aerospace Engineering

Mechanical Engineering

Civil and Environmental Engineering

Industrial Engineering

You need to think about what you would love to do. Biomedical engineers are very much in demand right now, and you can see from my ranking that it is easier than chemical engineering. But chemical engineers can get into materials processing, etc, so the degree is very flexible. Mechanical is extremely flexible. Mechanical engineers can get into biomedical, aerospace, industrial, even civil (on the structural side). Computer engineering is a mix of electrical and software.

Biomedical engineering can be very rewarding, because your product directly helps people.

Think about what you would get juiced about waking up for every day.

Source(s): Mechanical engineer, working closely with chemical, electrical, biomedical, industrial, computer and software engineers over a 22 year career.