Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

first time tap lessons, any tips?

im going to take tap lessons for the first time this week, and i was wondering if anybody had any tips or websites? for some reason the put me in teen tap year 3 (i am a teen) but shouldnt they have put me in year 1 or 2? because everyone else will have been taking tap for 3 years i think and i have never taken it before. i have been taking jazz for a few years if that makes a difference. i was talking to the teacher and she said she would be reviewing everything , but i just wanted to know if anybody had any tips and/or simple dance moves so i will know something before we start. websites would also be greatly accpreciated

Favorite Answer

i started tap in tap two and i was fine.....it was challenging though!

they only thing i have to tell you is RELAX.

i am not relaxed and i had a hard time doing the faster moves.

also, tap dances aren't just foot choreograhpy.

usually, if your teacher doesn't tell you what to do with your arms, you have to freestyle it!

i had a really hard time with it because i am not relaxed and i felt like an idiot waving my arms around however they wanted to go, but that's what you gotta do to make it look interesting!

and for moves.....

shuffle: brush forward with ball of foot and pull back with ball of foot. DON'T LET YOUR HEEL TOUCH THE FLOOR

toe: tap your toe in front of you. NO HEEL AGAIN

heel: pull your toes back and stomp your heel on the ground. NO TOE ON THIS ONE!

i found this website, also

http://www.tapdance.org/tap/steps/glossary.htm

the only part you need to worry about is the moves section.

that has some basics

i started tap about two years ago when i was thirteen and i picked it up really fast and loved it so dont worry about it. If you already do jazz that will help as you will be used to learning new dances. I wouldn't worry too much about knowing everything before you start as you will learn everything when you join but if you know anyone who already does tap you could ask them to show you some simple steps. I had a friend who already did tap and this really helped.

relax ur ankles!!! it makes a huge difference in the number of sounds u can make!! also DO NOT POINT UR FEET!!! watever u do dont point ur feet because that is the worst thing u can do! it makes it soo much harder then it has to be!! and that is the best advice i can give u! i dont reallly kno wat steps u will be doing so i cant really help u on that. but ive been dancing fer almost 12 years so talk to me if u have any more questions!!

Babe placed some sand on a stressful timber floor placed on your steel tip shoes and get those ft taping & sliding to some previous style banjo music I`v purely have been given one left leg now so I faucet siting down with my chillum ! faucet faucet i'm able to sense a slow rush coming near tappty faucet a sprint greater sand now yow .

Laura, you not a teen! Your only 11! Your a "teen" when your age ends in "-teen".

E.G. thirTEEN, fourTEEN, fifTEEN

Good luck with the tap

My dance skl web site is www.janetdenney.co.uk