?
? asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

is this a sad poem about putting a dog to sleep?

i think its very good poem it made me cry when i read it and reminded me of my puppy who died and was only 6 weeks :(

its not mine btw

PUT ME TO REST

Time to let me go my friend,

Because my life no-one can mend,

Its better to let me go this way,

Than watch me suffer night and day.

I'm happy to go, my time has come,

My quality of life is no longer fun,

Ive been so ill, so its not a bad thing,

To let me go forever resting.

Stay with me till I drift away,

Fast asleep forever I pray,

To relieve me from suffering and pain,

What more can I ask from my best friend.

Don't be sad, I'll be free from pain,

Never to be ill ever again,

I know you'll miss me being there,

But all the memories you have to share.

Thankyou for being my best friend,

And all my needs that you did tend,

Try not to be sad, try not to cry,

Now's the time to say GOODBYE

Favorite Answer

Hi Mark, I've read your poem and was a comfort to me as we to had to put our Matt ( Border Collie) to sleep not all that long ago. Matt was 14 and he had arthritis so bad in all his joints, the Vet had no more solutions re: medications, accupuncture and so on for us. We had Matt cremated and put into a nice pine box with an inscribed plate on it that said

" Matt "

Forever Faithful...... Forever at Peace

My husband and I held Matt while he drifted off and yes that was the hardest thing we have ever done, we still miss him and still cry for him. Some people say we should get another dog now to help fill the void, we are not sure what to do... my question to you is how you feel about this , as you have just recently gone through the same? Joanne

I am so sorry to hear that! You need right now to not beat yourself up about. You and your family did what was best for the dog so it will not be in pain anymore. You need to distract yourself, watch a funny movie, watch a whole series of movies. Read a good book , do something that will keep your mind busy. You are going through the grieving process of which is painful but necessary and healing will come out of that, but remember it is a process not resolved over night. Make sure that for the next few days you're not spending large blocks of time alone. Have someone come over if you need to and friend will understand and be more than willing to come hang out for a while. I hope this helps, the pain will go away eventually!

• DonnaL

Yes very Sad but Heart Warming too. My Dog died within one day of having to decide on putting her to sleep too. She is still my best friend and I know she is at the Rain Bow Bridge too just waiting for me. Feel glad you had such a wonderful friend I do.

• ®

I have read this poem before & it is sad, yet true.

I was reading over poems this past May when I had to make this heart wrenching decision for my girl, Desire.

Of course I cried while reading this at that time.

The decision to put a pet to sleep is the hardest decision a pet owner ever has to make. Reading this poem might make the heartbreak a little easier to bear. Thanks for sharing it with us. You have my condolences for your poor puppy.

Yes, it is. It's very sad, but sometimes necessary to help a very good friend and ease their pain.

Sad but comforting to feel.I bet it does hurt to put them down.I lost mine to old age and natural causes,and man it hurt.Memories are good to have....

thank you for sharing this sad poem with us...and I am sorry for your loss of your puppie too hugs