Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can I reuse glass jars with plastic lids and metal lids (like salsa jars) for pickles? if so, how?

I'm trying to make dill pickles and I have lots of saved glass jars (mayo and pickle jars) but they are not the typical screw band and lid jars. Can these be hot processed?? If I don't need to buy new jars that would be great!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, You can't use just any jar to can with. The typical screw bands and lids are specifically made to seal and therefore protect and preserve your foods. The canning jars are also made to withstand high temperatures without cracking or breaking. You really do need to use jars and lids that are specifically designed for canning.

• 5 years ago

Boil the jars before you reuse them, especially for pickling or preserving. I'm unsure about the lid.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.