Can I reuse glass jars with plastic lids and metal lids (like salsa jars) for pickles? if so, how?

I'm trying to make dill pickles and I have lots of saved glass jars (mayo and pickle jars) but they are not the typical screw band and lid jars. Can these be hot processed?? If I don't need to buy new jars that would be great!

Favorite Answer

No, You can't use just any jar to can with. The typical screw bands and lids are specifically made to seal and therefore protect and preserve your foods. The canning jars are also made to withstand high temperatures without cracking or breaking. You really do need to use jars and lids that are specifically designed for canning.

Boil the jars before you reuse them, especially for pickling or preserving. I'm unsure about the lid.