Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

How much does a nurse make a year?

Nurse

Favorite Answer

depends on where you live, and what type of nursing you do.

In my hospital it is a union hospital so the low end people make about 18 an hour and people who have been there for 20+ years make about 50 an hr. A friend of mine is a school nurse and she makes about 34 an hour.

A family member who lives 2000 miles away from me is an RN in a non union hospital, has been there about 5 years and makes 22 an hr. Hope this helps

• Yogi

It all really depends on were you are at and what part of nursing you get into. I know or a couple yrs ago in SC they paid around $25 an hr. for a travel nurse. Has it gone up or down not sure. If you are a travel nurse it depends on your knowledge and how long you have been an RN and the agency you sign up with. Some RN train to be a flight nurse to which is real good pay. Not sure again it all depends on the agency.

I know the wife worked at a local hospital for around 5 yrs and had made it up to around $19 (medsurg)an hr she then went to a travel job and was getting $30 and hr(same area work) along with travel pay housing some it was taxable some not. I would keep up with her hotel bills and gas money along with food for tax purposes. Now she is working on spinal cord and pulls around $25 an hr also she signed up for a bonus to which you should look into. Some places will have bonus plans and they may want you for 2 or 3 years depending the amount you sign for.

There is going to be a need for RN's and Doc for a good many yrs to come. They are also short on them now and it is a very tasking job.

I'm not sure where you live, but in Canada the general range for a nurse is anywhere from approximately $45K/year ($23/hour) for an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) to approximately $75K/year ($37/hour) for an RN (Registered Nurse) with several years experience. One can of course also go on to being a Team Leader (head nurse), or Care Co-ordinator, or a Nurse Manager position which would make more. Nurses are greatly in demand due to the demographic factor of many being close to retirement age. I know this as I work in health care, and my Mother is also an RN. Hope this helps.

In my area it starts out as 21.00 - 30.00/hr when you are a RN, only reason why I know is because my husband just finished his RN and is seeking a job right as we speak.

• Cher

to start in PA

approx $20/hour