Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

7th Grade Avanced Math...Plzzzzz Help Me Understand This!!!!?

Ok. I'm in 7th grade advanced math. I am pretty good at math. My only problem is I don't understand solving problems with the distributive property! People say its so easy, and they think im dumb because I don't understand it.

My math teacher Mrs. Root, is a really good teacher but when she tries to explaining it, she makes it too confusing. I know she goes fast because im advanced but I don't get it!

Can someone please explain how todo the distributive property? Maybe give an easy way to remember it?

And please use an example or I still wont get it.

Thanks in Advance!

-Lindi♥

Ok. You guys are a lot of help. The only thing is 2(6+7) and stuff like that is just order of operation. Distributive is when you have variables and stuff. So the problems look like this: 4(7+n).

Some of you have the right idea though.

Best Answer

okay..

2(x +5)

distribute the 2 throughout the numbers in the brackets..

(2x + 10)

now a little harder:

5(2x+16)

so: 5 times 2x = 10x.

and 5 times 16 = 80.

equation becomes 10x + 80.

Ok.. Distributive property is easy, let me see if I can give you a simple way of remembering this.. Ok.. I remember the saying "PEMDAS" or my personal favorite is "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" This in mathematical terms is called the order of operations. Basically, if you use them in order, it helps you solve distributive property problems. So "PEMDAS" stands for: Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, and Subtraction. So if you have a problem like:

2^3+3(4^2+12/4)

You solve what's in parenthesis first and then you move down "PEMDAS" so.. it would look like this:

2^3+3(16+12/4)

2^3+3(16+3)

2^3+3(19)

8+3(19)

8+57

65= Your correct answer..

As long as you remember "PEMDAS" or "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally) and work in the problem in that order, you'll be fine. And remember, always work from the inside out (Another helpful hint).. You can email me if you need help with anything else!

P.S.

If it gets too hard, check out http://www.hotmath.com

(It gives you all the answers to your textbook.. Only use it if you absolutely need it and always go back and figure out how you get the answer!

Another P.S. Lol

I see that you added a comment to your question.. If you have the problem 4(7+n), all you can do is simplify that since there is no equals sign. You answer would be,

4x7+4xn (you distribute the end to each of the variables inside of the parenthesis) so it would look like

28+4n and this would be your answer because you can only simplify it! Thanks and come again. Lol

Source(s): My 7th grade class.. Lol

Hope this helps

For Example

4(3+n)

If there is a variable in the parenthasees, use the distributive property. Multiply the outside number by both numbers inside

4x3=12 4xn=4n

Therefore: 12+4n

Lets say the ouside # is negative,

-4(3+n) You do the same thing, but the negative outside changes the sign inside

12-4n

Lets say the ouside is negative and you're subtracting

-4(3-n) Still do the same thing, the negative outside changes the - inside to a +

12+4n

Lets say the ouside # is a variable

n(3+n)

Multiply n by 3: nx3= 3n

and n by n: nxn= n^2

(two variables multiplyed together equal that variable squared)

Hope this helps and i'm not as confusing as Mrs. Root

The easiest way for me to explain it is through example...

Take a look at the problem below.

2(3 + 6)

Because the binomial "3 + 6" is in a set of parentheses, when following the Order of Operations, you must first find the answer of 3 + 6, then multiply it by 2. This gives an answer of 18.

2(3 + 6)

2(9)

18

Good Luck with math. lol It only gets worse, I'm not gonna lie to ya.

Yea sure sweety. After this hopefully it will be easy.

If you have the problem 5(3+2) there is an easy way to do it.

You could use order if operations and do 5*5=25. But the distrabution property says that 5*3+5*2=23

Just draw little arrows from the 5 to the 3 and the 5 to the two. So its 5 times 3 PLUS (keep it) five times 2 will equal 25.

the basics to getting an answer right, is to know all the information "correctly." and first of all, a lot of students think they are good at math because they "finish the test" before you do. don't listen to them. if you take your time and do it slowly, you will get better results.

heres a link to everything about the distributive property.

http://www.algebrahelp.com/lessons/simplifying/dis...

its easy.

lets say this is a problem :

5(10+3)

you just add the numbers in the parenthesis. then multiply. you just see whats ALREADY there. like in math they make terms and phrases [etc] that makes you think its harder...but its really not! just use your common sense. [() parenthesis = multiplication] + = add

add then multiply.

[you only add first because PEMDAS. [p=parenthesis] etc etc im sure you have studied this all]

Hey! i was in advanced math in 7th grade too, and i know how hard it gets. stay in it! one of the best decisions ever, in highschool u can get extra credits and it really helps.

distributive property: ex: 2(3+8)

something along those lines right?

1.take the outer number (in this case 2) and multiply it by the first number in the parentheses (in this case 3) you get 6.

2. Take the outer number (in this case 2) and multiply it by the second number in the parenthese (in this case 8) you get 16.

now take what you get and add it together (because there is a plus sign in the parentheses) 6+16=22.

i hope that helps =] if you need anymore help you can e-mail me bmg032002@yahoo.com.

Source(s): im a junior in pre-calc with a bunch of seniors because i stayed in advanced math. keep with it!
  • Kemmy

a(b+c) = ab + ac

Similarly,

(a+b)(c+d)

= (a+b)(c) + (a+b)(d)

= ac + bc + ad + bd