Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

SCI-FI ACTION BOOKS: Can You Suggest Some?

Now I'm not interested in anything that has to do with STAR WARS or STAR TREK. Please none of those! One of my favorite movies was THE FITH ELEMENT starring Bruce Willis. Something along those lines would be great. Something that has great action and just a cool story. . . great action. Did I say that alreay?LOL. I'm use to reading horror novels and thing like that. I'm thinkin' bout expanding my range. Any suggestions would be great!

Just a good scienfiction action book.

Thoughts?

Favorite Answer

1st, I definitely *do not* recommend Dune. There's action, but what a poor story!

Now for the good stuff:

Where I agree with other answers:

Ender's Game

(partial agreement) Foundation Trilogy - there *is* action in this *excellent* series, but there is also a time period of several centuries covered. Not exactly an "action" series.

My recommendations:

Anything by Andre Norton, but especially "Star Man's Son" (also titled "2250 A.D."). Nearly *everything* that she has done is action-packed, and nearly all is very good (that mentioned is her best, excellent). Also excellent by her: (link for reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliography_of_Andre... )

Central Control series

Forerunner - the 1st is excellent, but series degrades slowly afterwards

Judgment on Janus (2nd in this action series not very good)

Solar Queen series (I remember this whole series being excellent)

Time Travel series - the 1st is excellent, but series degrades slowly afterwards

Zero Stone series

Armageddon 2419 A.D by Nowlan - an *excellent* action book, will give you a real appreciation for Buck Rogers

Perry Rhodan - the whole series is action-packed. Think of it as Germany's answer to Heroes, except that it began in the 60s. Star Trek Next Generation has plagiarized from the best parts of this excellent series. Even more action-packed: the spin-off series Atlan.

Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth - my favorite scifi of all time, there are a few slow spots (especially at the beginning), but plenty of action. Free online.

Other Jules Verne is more along the exploration category (with plenty of action, but plenty of non-action, too), but if you like Journey as well as I do, check these out:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Mysterious Island

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - talking animal scifi action. Similar to the (excellent) movie, but even better.

Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World" - more of an adventure fantasy than scifi maybe, but plenty of dinosaur & primitive human combat action. Free online. I rate only *very good*, but if you like dinosaur combat and "great white hunter" type stories, you'll love this.

War of the Worlds by H G Wells - only half action, half "after the fact", but still one of the great scifi stories of all time. Free online. You should also like "The Time Machine" (plenty of action, but only very good) and "The Invisible Man" (ditto)

I nearly forgot the Dumarest books by E. C. Tubb. *Lots* of action - a guy being pursued by a powerful evil brotherhood of human emotionless super-intellectuals. Sort of a James Bond in Outer Space (except that he isn't actually a spy). Lots of hand-to-hand combat, hunting, hot chicks, pursuit, alien death creatures, assassins - all in space or on alien worlds. You'll probably have to get these used.

"Tales from the Dying Earth" - see in the last link, one of my favorite scifis of all time (actually, scifi with fantasy elements) and definitely full of action.

Jim, http://www.life-after-harry-potter.com/

• ?

The definition of good science fiction is, has been and probably always will be the original Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov. The series was eventually expanded to 7 books, 2 before and 2 after the trilogy by timeline. The seven in order are Prelude to Foundation, Forward to Foundation, Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, Foundations Edge amd Foundation and Earth. Also any of Asimov's robot stories are well woth the reading. L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth is a big story and an enjoyable read as is Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern which has since expanded far beyond the original trilogy with several prequels and sequels. Frank Herbert's Dune series is also well worth reading. One other point on stories in general, as an example, my wife has never liked science fiction, however, I have recently gotten her hooked on Quantum Leap, the reason being, the time travle/science fiction themes of the show are only the setting, the means of getting Sam Beckett into the story, The story itself is about people and their problems and finding a solution to them. The best stories of any genre are about people time and space doesn't really matterr it is can you as a reader identify with the characters, the heroes the villains and the solution. That is what makes a good story.

• I kinda know what you're looking for...here are my faves.

Action and/or Sci-Fi books:

-Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz (Books: Stormbreaker, Point Blank, Skeleton Key, Eagle Strike, Scorpia, and Ark Angel. I think there's going to be one more coming out sometime next year.)

-The Alchemyst series by Michael Scott. (Books: The Alchemyst. The rest aren't out yet but on the authors website it says their names are The Magician, The Sorceress, The Necromancer, The Warlock, and The Enchantress.)

-Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. (Books: The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, and The Titan's Curse. The Battle of the Labyrinth comes out May 2008 and there will be another after that.)

That's all that comes to mind for now.

Source(s): I read WAY too much. Don't you agree?

1. The Miles Vorkosigan Series by Lois Bujold- excellent action and very entertaining

2. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card- Fantastic story centered around kids

3. Books by Larry Niven

4. Books by Frederik Pohl

Source(s): www.amazon.com

The best action/sci-fi books I've ever read were Dan Simmon's "Hyperion" books. I read them in high school and couldn't put them down. They have it all, from cool future tech to spirituality to sex to lots and lots of violence. To be honest, ALL of his sci-fi is very active. The Illium and Olympus books were great as well. But to cut your teeth start off with Hyperion. I'm including a link to a review so you know what you're getting into. If you liked the Fifth Element you'll love Hyperion.

Time Out Of Joint--Philip K ****

also the short stories of A E Van Vogt--particularly Far Centaurus, Seesaw and Recruiting Station (plus this way you'll see where **** got his concerns and storytelling style)

The Dresden Files but Jim Butcher are very exciting, though possible fantasy rather than science fiction. Robert Silverburg and Robert Heinlein are good as well. As has been mentioned The Dune books are very exciting.

The Vatta's War books by Elizabeth Moon.

How about some classic H.Beam Piper?

Space Viking, Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, or Uller Uprising.

The original "Dune" by Frank Herbert is excellent.

I also really enjoyed Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy".

And I also recommend Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"