why is the soil different in the Ozarks in southern Missouri than in Northern Missouri soil?

Favorite Answer

Glaciation.

Northern Missouri, and especially northwestern Missouri, is covered with a fine silty sediment known as loess. This was deposited by wind and water and formed by glaciers that pushed southward into the area, as far south as Des Moines, during the Wisconsian glaciation that reached its peak about 14,000 years before present. Northern Missouri was actually covered by glaciers in an earlier glaciation known as the Independence, which covered the area between 610,000 and 780,000 years before present.

See: http://www.geospectra.net/lewis_cl/geology/glacial...

Source(s): geologist

I live in the heart of the St. Francois Mountain area of Missouri, and let me say that my area is vastly different from the rest of the state.

To understand the differences of the soil content between north and south you must research the geology. Mountainous areas have different mineral compositions than the flat, lowland (now drained) swamps of the Missouri bootheel, or even the flat fields and rolling hills of the glacial-shaped areas of Missouri's northern half (remember, glaciers thaw and leave minerals behind as they recede northward).

I have two towns nearby wherein one is sitting on granit while the other is on sandstone; one is dealing with radionuclides while the other is not concerned...

Below is a link that I feel will get you started.

Deion "Mule" Christopher