Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

Gases Boyles,Charles....So solving just explaining concepts.. thanks :)?

Hi.. Okay so Boyles law states that the volume of a given amount of a fas is inversly proportional to its pressure. Now Does this mean V = k/P ... I need to understand the concepts and so far i can some what understand them... If someone can give me an example that would be awesome...

Also Charles Law states that for a given amount of gas at a constant pressure, the volume is directly proportional to the temperature in Kelvins... Im just having troubles with the word " proportional " i dont understand it.

If you can maybe explain it that would be greatly appreciated thanks...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Part 1 --- you are right about inverse proportionality of boyle's law which assumes everything else (Temp, # of moles..) are constant. Then you can rightly assume that V=k/P which means if you increas the pressure, the volume will decrease. Imagine pressing a piston, what happens? You compress the chamber which means the volume has decreased.

Part 2... Proportional means that a increase in one of those will result in an increase in another variable... and vice versa. Imagine a chamber with a movable piston and 1 mol of water... Since the piston is movable the pressure is constant and we are not adding mroe water so the number of moles of water is constant too. So now the only things that you can change are Temperature or Volume... Now you heat the chamber (INCREASE temperature) which results in an increase in pressure (but we know that piston is movable) so the piston will move up and the volume will INCREASE. Thats what is meant by PROPORTINALITY, a direct relationship.

• 1 decade ago

"Proportional" means "changes with". Directly proportional means if T goes up, P goes up.

Inversely proportional means if P goes up, V goes down.

Consider a cylinder with a fitted movable piston. There is gas in it at a P of 1 atm. The piston is at rest at a certain level. Now, push down on the piston. You have increased the Pressure inside the cylinder, and the Volume has gone down, as indicated by the level of the piston.

Same cylinder: constant P. At T1, piston is at a certain level. Now heat the cylinder. The piston moves up to a new, larger volume. T goes up, V goes up, therefore V is directly proportional to T.

• 4 years ago

i will clarify this very in basic terms. a million. it isn't effectual to you to apply your bible to study Jewish concepts- that is been altered in too many places by technique of the early church and intensely frequently the concept besides because the textual content has been replaced with the top effect being the shipping of a thoroughly diverse message. 2. The Xian idea of devil has *no* (and that i mean easily none) resemblance to the Jewish version. See above. 3. imagine of a prosecuting lawyer. Is the lawyer prosecuting of his personal free will? Does the lawyer choose the customer? Does the lawyer, in truth, inevitably imagine each and every client is responsible? No. The lawyer is charged with prosecution by technique of a larger skill- in his or her case, the state. As a topic of the state, he's not there to workouts his personal free will, he's there to deliver stability and provide up one aspect of a tale. The devil has a function very reminiscent of this lawyer (except, obviously, the lawyer did get to make your concepts up on regulation college :),- he's not there because he has fallen, or is evil, he's there to do a job and strike a stability, as are all the different attorneys. The Xian idea of the devil- one it really is evil and performs evil of his personal free will- is what does no longer exist in Judaism. If it were as xtianity claims, then this devil might want to be yet another (xian)god to boot to the Xian trinity, as angels- evil or no longer, fallen or no longer (we are able to not debate that section the following) do no longer own the powers attributed to HaSatan by technique of Xianity. As on your extra question, The spectrum of affiliations- from reform to orthodox- variety in stages of prepare and statement, although the middle tenets stay a similar for the era of- we are a human beings sure to a unique G-d and to that which that G-d has created. i wish that is trouble-free sufficient to carry close- no longer because you're incapable yet because the modifications are so large even regardless of the truth that Xians are taught they don't look, that i comprehend human beings on your situation frequently conflict with having been misinformed on the topic of Jewish beliefs, and then at the same time as they wrestle to appreciate, that is style of confusing to 'wrap your concepts round'. the perfect element to do is what you probably did- ask Jews :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.