Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

I would like to be a professional photographer sometime in the future.?

At present I need to buy a really good camera so that I can learn more about using a professional type camera and about photography in general. I think I have an eye for taking pictures, even with my 5.0 point and shoot camera I get some great shots. My question is this...I want to buy a good SLR digital camera that will allow me to learn about photography and perhaps be good enough to start up a business, any suggestions for that kind of a camera?

Favorite Answer

For a beginner, I would recommend getting a used or refurbished Nikon D70s (or Canon equivalent). Several reasons why I recommend doing this are:

- it will save you a lot of money that you will in turn be able to spend going on trips going to really cool places to take picutres... spend on better lenses... or spend on other accessories.

- this model uses Compact Flash memory cards, which is the professional standard and will save you money from having to invest in a whole new set of memory cards when you do upgrade to a professional/prosumer grade camera. this way whenever you get ready to move up to a newer professional/prosumer camera all you'll need to buy is the camera and extra batteries.

- it's a 6mp camera which is more than enough to make large prints. more megapixels do not make better quality images. it allows you to make larger prints of your images without any distortion or pixelation.

- it's inexpensive, and although not the most current, it has all the functions you would need/use as a professional so to get you well acquainted with all the settings you would use daily and change constantly.

I would not recommend using anything lower than a D70s (like a D50 or a D40, or Canon equivalents like the Rebels) as they do not allow for all the flexibility of a "professional" camera. They're also not compatible with all lenses.

If you went with a Nikon D70, you could get some really nice lenses with the money you saved, put it to work making money for you, and later upgrade to a professional/prosumer camera like a D200 (i have 2 of these and love them!) or Canon equivalent 40D or 5D.

One of the reasons I recommend Nikon over Canon is how easy Nikons are to adjust your settings. Everything you'd need to adjust from shot-to-shot are right at your finger tips. When I first started making my choice of which route to take Canon's settings were cumbersome to adjust and a lot of them were burried in menus. This might be different today... Both systems are capable of making the exact same images. Usually whenever a review or a sales person says one is better than the other, especially in reviews, they're going out of their way to make one look worse than the other.

I would also recommend seeing if a local community college has any beginner courses.

Whenever/whatever you buy, I always recommend purchasing at least 3 spare batteries. Last thing you want or need is to not have enough battery power whenever you're on a job.... or in a remote place shooting without the ability to recharge whenever you need.

Also, think about a flash.

The photos that I mostly shoot are without a flash. Most entry level cameras have built in flashes... the problem with these are that they tend to cast a big circular shadow across the bottom of your images when shot wide open... with a attachable flash (for Nikon I recommend the Nikon SB800) you won't have this problem.

Another recommendation.... Don't buy 3rd party anything. Camera stores will try to sell you on magic third party lenses from Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc... Not a single professional uses them or else these companies would be marketing the crap out of that... but they don't, so they can't. Nikon and Canon know how to make the lenses that work best with their cameras. Sigma and the others can make a lens, but they don't know all the tricks that Nikon and Canon do about their own systems.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy from a reputable vendor.

I recommend www.Adorama.com. I have bought from them for years and have never had a single problem. Don't fall into the trap of some online stores who have a deal that looks too good to be true... it looks that way because it is. Most of them are scams and will take your money and run... others will take your order then call you asking if you wanted all the accessories that by default come with the camera but they're going to charge you extra for them... Do not fall for these people. B&H is another great online store. Any well known reputable store will also let you return any product that you purchased if you did not like it. No questions asked.

Ummmm.... I think I'm running out of steam... Hope all of this was of some help. Best of luck to you!

Source(s): Full-time professional photographer.

A litle more to go on would be nice, like what kind of photgraphy you plan on doing, but I will take a stab at it. I study people so my two big lenses I like the most are the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 made by Canon you can also use the 50 1.8 its less than 100 and sharp as a tack, but if you can afford it the 1.4 will serve you better. I would suggest 2 flashes probably the 430EX2 or a 580 and a 430 depending if you want to use pocketwizards which I would advise once you start using them you will wonder how you lived without em. A tripod I believe to be a must have and if you are going to be doing scenics a cable release should also be in your bag. For scenic s you will want a wider lens also than the 2 I listed above if you have a 18-55 kit lens that will do fine to start, but you will probably want to upgrade it soon. For that I would choose either the Tamron 18-50 2.8 or Canon 17-40 f/4L the Tamron is faster with the 2.8 aperture and is sharper but can not focus near as fast as the Canon and has no where near the build quality, though it will take a beating. The nice thing and deal breaker with me on the Canon lens is it's a EF so if you plan on upgrading to a full frame in the future the Canon can come where the Tamron can't. The Canon also runs about 250-350 more than the Tamron at 700-800 compared to 450 so you will need to think about that also. Really that's all you need. I will be adding the 100 2.8 macro but don't see myself going higher. You might for wildlife or what not but for the basics of photography you dont need anymore. You can just go with the 17-40 and add a 70-200, but I have had little use for it and prefer primes. There is alot of flexibility and you will need to decide what important to you. Oh almost forgot no matter what you use you need a circular polarizer filter. Trust me, never have it far from your camera its has WAY to many uses. Hope this help you

• Elvis

All of the major brands are good. Choose a brand that appeals to you. Then you have to think about getting a spare battery, what size memory card, if you want an extended warranty, how much you can afford, what size zoom, if you want manual controls, the size of the camera, finding a reliable place to purchase it, and the list goes on and on and on.......

The first thing to realize is that almost any digital camera will take good pictures. If more people would read the manual more than once, they would be able to take better pictures. Usually, the person assumes it is the camera when it could be them not knowing exactly what to do. Just give yourself more photographic knowledge by doing more reading on the internet.

I really believe buying a camera is an individual choice.

The person needs to read alot of reviews on cameras so they can decide on the features that they really want and need.

Go to the store and hold them so you can see if they feel comfortable in your hands. If possible, take some pictures in the store to check the quality of the pictures.

I can only give a suggestion of what to look for in a new digital camera.

Good Luck

my suggestion

go to yahoo shopping

digital cameras

digital camera GUIDE

be sure to check titles on the left side

the guide should answer your questions

• V2K1

No, you don't need to buy a camera -- you need to find out how to make money as a photographer.

Go to your local library, bookstore and guidance counsellor and find out what kind of photo businesses actually make a buck.

From experience I can tell you that a new camera is the least of your worries.

first figure out your budget.....

Then, go to dpreview.com and compare the various dslr cameras, side by side, look at the different features and see which camera appeals to you most....

Then, go to a camera store (not walmart or best buy), and play with the different cameras... see which one fits you best, try different lenses too...

Remember, when you buy a dslr, you are buying into a whole system of lenses and accessories, and you will want to pick a system which will encompass your needs. Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax are all excellent brands, just see which fits you best.