7 month old and inhaler??

My son was just prescribed and Flovent HFA inhaler. I was told inhalers are not a good idea for little ones and should get an allergy test done first.

I was just looking for opinions from other moms, if anyone has had to give there young ones an inhaler

Favorite Answer

My small one has many respiratory issues including asthma and allergies. She was prescribed flovent, flonase, and albuteral just to get her symptoms under control. Two of those are inhalers. She had a tube that connects to the inhaler and has a mouth piece on it so all she has to do is breathe as the medicine disperse into the air inside the tube. If your son has not got one, I'd look into it. In the mean time, it is recommended to hold the inhaler a bit away from the mouth, as discharging it into the mouth lets most of the medicine be ingested vice inhaled.

Just what my kiddo has been doing since she was about 2. She is 4 now and an old pro at it.

Sometimes kids with a mild cold with no symptom other than wheezing get diagnosed with asthma. They are given an inhaler treatment and guess what? They get better. The problem is the inhalers also make the respiratory distress of a cold better too.

If the RX was from your Family Practice Doctor then consider seeing a Pediatrician. If from a Pediatrician, consider seeing a Pulmonary specialist. (If you feel one level of doctor is giving you incorrect information, go to the next highest level for a second opinion.

You may also want to check out your home. Do you have a cat? Where does the cat sleep and where is the litter box? Do you change the furnace filters regularly? Do you use quality filters or the cheapest ones you can buy? Do you wear or use any kind of body powder or spray that could be irritating the child? When does the child have the problem? Is it only when dad is around smoking? Is it only when you have fresh flowers in the house? Allergy tests are easy but you can often figure out what the problem is just by being observant.

My kid was around dogs all the time, right from birth and has no problem. But put her in the same room as a cat and she wheezes like an old man. When and where she could develop an allergy to cats we do not know, but it is definitely proveable just by bringing a cat into the room.

Flovent is approved for use in children under the age of 4? And I don't see how you can get an infant to properly use an inhaler? Also according to what I have read about flovent it is only for people whose asthma can't be treated with other (oral?) medications.

If the doctor who has prescribed this is not a specialist I would demand to see a specialist. I wouldn't take just one opinion on something like this.

http://www.gw-flovent.com/

If your son was prescribed an inhaler, the doctor very likely has a good reason. Unless the person/people who told you inhalers are not a good idea for little ones is/are doctors/experts in the field, I'd take your doctor's advice over theirs.

If you are in doubt about your doctor's diagnosis and treatment plan, get a second opinion from another physician, not armchair quarterbacks on here who have no idea what your son's medical issue is.