No grass...is it to late to seed or sod. What is the best way to go about it. From Ontario, Canada?

The Grass had to be taken out and the soil turn over due to being taken over with weeds that couldnt be killed. I tryed almost everthing. The weeds just double. I live in Ontario Canada. The weather is till nice.but, we have already had a frost

Favorite Answer

As a owner of a landscaping business and a long time resident of Ontario maybe I could give you some suggestions.

You say you removed all the old sod and turned the soil which is fine. I would suggest if you can to wait until Spring and then have new top soil brought in and have a professional regrade your yard. At the same time if you need window wells put in this would be the ideal time to do it as well. Regrading the yard will ensure that it's sloping at the correct degree away from the house to prevent water seepage..

Depending on where you live in Ontario it's chancy to do a seeding or sodding this late in the season. If you were only doing a "fill-in" then you could seed but it doesn't sound like this is the case. You could take a chance and have it sodded but you may not find a company willing to do it this late either. I suggest you wait until Spring and then have it sodded because it will take a lot of watering faithfully to make sure it takes. Watering this late in the season may not be an option.

Another good reason for waiting until Spring is that you mentioned you had lots of re-occuring weeds - it gives them a chance to come up again if they've had time to reseed - you can then use a good weed killer on them before covering with top soil for the sod. Sodding also gives you an almost instant lawn without having to do several seedings.

Hopefully this has been of help to you.

Good Luck.

Source(s): Owns Landscaping company.

Some unconventional wisdom........?

Live in NY state & my dad used to be an engineer in the school system.

I know he would sometimes have the crew seed the athletic fields late in the fall even with light snow on the ground.

His theory could have been to have it sprout as early as possible to get a jump on the weeds before the fields went into full use?

If you let a lawn "go to seed" it will fall onto the earth , get snowed on & frozen in the winter anyhow & sprout when spring comes just like anything else.

Have tried it & it did sprout, but then again Im happy if it looks like anything close to a lawn,

Also,while we're at it,see what you can do for my heating bills by keeping the "Canadian Express" from coming my way.

Best regards

• Tony M

I would wait till the second week of January and put down fertilizer and Kentucky 31 tall fescue. The farmers will put down fertilizer and grass seed on the winter wheat at that time to grow red clover or convert the field to a grass field. Try to predict the weather and put it down before a big snow. The longer the snow stays on the better the grass will come up. I know a person that his yard really came up great by doing this.

Good Luck.

i for my section love seed over sod. Sod isn't something yet problems in the long-term. reckoning on the place you're at its achievable that it ought to be to dry, notwithstanding you need to be waiting to water your backyard. So, sod shouldnt be a issue. in the event that they'll seed, ensure they use a typical class seed. in the event that they use a decrease priced seed you will only have not have been given something yet grassy weeds, weeds and crap becoming on your backyard which you dont prefer. I dont knwo the place you reside or what variety of grass you have becoming on your backyard yet you prefer to verify the grass you have. i for my section think of youll get greater suited outcomes in case you seed, yet you are able to ought to overseed returned if those factors dont fill in. Have them get you loads of seed. yet shop the seed moist. do no longer enable the seed dry out. you are able to bypass with sod, yet i wouldnt advise it.

Early fall is the best time for seeding with cool-season grasses. Since crabgrass is dead by then, you'll have fewer weed problems. Early spring is best for warm-season grasses.

• morris

I am in Mich. and I won't bother planting now. a month ago would have been good. Now that it is Nov. winter could start anytime. An early winter blast will kill off some new grass. If you plant now, you take your chances.