Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Secret to Pappadeaux's Gumbo?

I love Pappadeaux's gumbo and I would really like to try and make this for my family... Does anyone have the original recipe?

Best Answer

I found this one for you :

ROUX:

1/2 cup cooking oil

1/2 cup flour

Put oil in a heavy pot and add flour. Over low heat, stir constantly until it browns to the color of coffee; cook SLOWLY.

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 onion, chopped

1 medium green pepper, chopped

1 cup chopped tomatoes

2 quarts hot water

Salt and pepper, to taste

2 cups cooked okra

2 pounds shrimp, peeled

1 pound crabmeat

1/2 to 1 teaspoon file powder

When roux has browned add celery, onions, and green peppers. Cook until wilted, add tomatoes, water, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. After it is brought to a boil, add the okra lower the heat and cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Check the water level and make sure there is a good consistency, otherwise add a little more water and then add shrimp and crab. Cook an additional 30 minutes. Turn off the stove and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon file. Serve.

If I told you that, it would not be a secret any more. Hee hee hee. I kid, I kid. I sometimes will use "fresh", spicy venison sausage, (if I'm lucky to get my hands on some after hunting season), and I also put in an extra big can of whole clams with juice, a jar of Clamato and two shots of Bourbon . One shot for the cook and one for the gumbo! What the hell, one more for the cook! Hee hee. A little patience, some love and an acquired taste for venison and you have a nice dinner. Now I'm hungry, dang it! :D