Kerosene or diesel for furnace at home?

Can you use kerosene or diesel in you home furnace? My husband is a plumbing and heating salesman and insists that we can. With the rising cost of oil we're looking for a way to save money, I just dont want to put our family in danger.

Please only answer if you have factual information or experience, I'm not looking for opinions on what could be a potentially grave matter.

Favorite Answer

Diesel fuel is the same thing as heating oil. Heating oil is diesel fuel that contains a red dye so that you can buy it without having to pay an excise tax.

Kerosene won't hurt your furnace, but it will hurt your wallet. Right now, kerosene sells for something like a dollar and a half more a gallon than heating oil does.

As for safety, kerosene is not dangerous, but it is expensive, and not as efficient as heating oil.

• newby

Kerosene Furnace

Yes you can use diesel fuel in your furnace. No, home heating oil is NOT K-1 kerosene.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Kerosene or diesel for furnace at home?

Please only answer if you have factual information or...

Source(s): kerosene diesel furnace home: https://tr.im/n4bsl

#2 diesel is commonly used in home heating.

In times of shortage, Standard Road Diesel #2, Diesel #1, Kerosene, K-1, Jet Fuel, JP-1, Agricultural Diesel, Diesel #2, Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil #4, or Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil #6 may be shipped by fuel distribution companies and sold for use as home heating oil. There may also be times that, due to economic and other considerations, fuel distributors sell any or all of these products, or combinations and blends of the same, to home owners, as simply Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil. Although I believe you get the best BTU output from #2 diesel or home heating oil.