Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Motorcycle falls/crashes?

If you have experienced a fall...What is your story?

Were there injuries?

Is riding on a cruiser on country roads at the speed limit safer than sports biking and pulling stunts on the freeways?

Ok, so tell me, if you were to tell someone the top five things to look out for to prevent an accident, what would they be?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

1.)The accident was simple. I was riding@ aprox 45-50mph in the far right hand lane and his car merged into my lane. I slammed on my brakes but didn't react in time and his back bumper hit my front tire. The bike laid over on it's right side and both the bike and I went skidding across the pavement for about 50 ft. My injuries are: a twisted ankle and road rash on my right arm (light) and right knee (severe). My bike has a lot of cosmetic damage to the right side and I'm pretty sure the front forks are bent because I have to hold the handlebars at an angle to drive straight. Also my husband says when I sit upright the back tire leans the opposite way that the handlebars have to be turned. The bike sounds horrible but that might be beacuse the exhaust pipe is dented and scratched up and is now out of tune. I'm guessing that the bike is totalled.

2.) Riding anywhere is dangerous depending on what you're doing. 90% of all crashes happen at intersections so that country road is just as dangerous as screwing around on the freeway. Drive safe, don't weave in/out of traffic and resect your fellow drivers.

3.) Top five :

-Make sure you're not in someone's blind spot. aka you're invisible 90% of the time anyways.NEVER assume someone sees you or that if they do they will stop/ avoid you. Eye contact doesn't count. They could be looking right through/past you.

-ALWAYS second guess what cars are going to do. Anticipating an accident can save your life.

-When at a stop light keep the bike in 1st gear and watch your rear mirrors. Someone behind you could rear end you if you're not watching.

-Constantly keep an "out" or "exit strategy", no matter where you are. Make sure you have room to dodge around people, cars, and obstacles whether stopped or riding at any speed. That distance will save your life.

-ALWAYS wear your gear. A 5 min trip up to the store can kill you. Always wear a helmet (whether required by law or not), proper footwear, an armored jacket (mesh for summer will keep you cool), and proper pants (crashing in jeans will be very uncomfortable at best).

Also, go to a MSF rider course and they can teach you a lot. Plus you get a discount on your insurance and get to pass up the driving test for your liscence. When you crash, and everyone does sooner or later, get back up and ride again. Don't be afriad to get back on. If you're afraid to crash, don't ride.

Source(s): 50 ft of hard asphalt and the school of hard knocks.

so far i've been lucky. no downage.....yet. but have come extremely close when cell phone drivers have cut me off and left turned me. the only thing that saved my a.ss is that at least 2 or 3 times a week, i do a few practice emergency stops at various speeds, up to and including 55 mph. if u dont have this manuver down cold, u could wind up on a cold slab in the morgue.

my top picks to how to avoid an accident:

1: put the bike where u can see traffic......or they simply cant see u. dont hide behind the right rear wheel of the car ahead and not expect to wind up being left turned.......that is BEGGIN to have that happen if u do that.

2: ride as if the bike has a klingon cloaking device active....alot of cagers are looking for a rider instead of the headlight, so they completely miss seeing u all together.

3: watch that cager's wheel. if it moves, prepare for evasion or emergency stop. u'll detect cage movement alot quicker this way.

4: never ride faster than where ur brain was at 5 seconds before. be advised, u have at max, 1.5 to 2 seconds of reaction time. better make it good, or u will become a hood ornament.

5: ride like u own the road, and 1 day, the road will own U. never try to ride balls to the wall on a road u've never been on until u've done a couple of slow speed runs first. all it takes is just a handful of gravel or sand in a corner, and down u go instantly. stunts are for reckless squids. remember, cager's outnumber u by a wide margin, and they are also the one's yelling at the elected official's to do something about: exessive noise, exessive speed, and those that ride as if the street is a race track. beware, 1 day it just might happen that sport bikes get banned if some officials get their way.

• Jim!

Honda CB400 Super Sport'

I was going 40MPH, when a car ran right in front of me.

I slid sideways and hit the quarter panel.

I stood up when I noticed my leg was backwards.

Broken hip, I was walking in 3 weeks, limped for a year

I was in the right, and 16, I have never crashed again.

You are invisible on the road, so be aware of that. honk the horn if you feel the need, don't be embarrassed.

Source(s): 25+ years safe riding

1. Wildlife encounter, 55mph, motorcycle totalled, broken thumb and a concussion for me, deer died.

2. In the words of Hunter S. Thompson - Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....

3. Cars, gravel, debris, fatigue and, need I say, animals.

3 lane road. im in lane #3, SUV is in lane #2. On a cross road where the pavement isnt marked the chick changes lanes from 2nd to 3rd.. where i was passing her. She clips my mid-section/foot peg/swing arm on my left with her front bumper pushing me sideways and infront of her. Spent about 3 hours in ER, was out from hospital in 12 hours.

And thats only recent one (4 weeks ago) my bike is still in the shop...

Ride like no one sees you, and if they see you, pretend that they want to kill you.

There are two types of riders - those who have never been down, and those who say - there are two types of riders.

Watch out there man, the road is tough. Road cages can kill you. And they will if you will be stupid anough to let em.

Lata

Source(s): 600RR

1.. never ever rely on just your mirrors 2. if lane splitting proceed with caution 3. when you see gravel on the road dont use front breaks 4.on intersection with driveways drive slow and check vehicle turning into driveways 5. dont carry passengers why risk their life? check out ride2die website pretty cool

A=Injuries were slight ( I was very Lucky)

B=Cruising at normal speed is safer.

C=Don't Drive or take your pick of 4 safe cars.

Ride like you are invisible.

Source(s): I ride

wear a white helmet to make yourself more visable :)