Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I am a permanent resident of Canada living in Peru. My permanent residence card will expire on 20-OCT-2012.?

Do I have to pay Canadian taxes from Peru?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Until such time as you qualify for residency in Peru (under tax law, not as having a PR card), you will be required to submit taxes to the Canadian government on worldwide income.

    If you still own property in Canada, or maintain a Canadian bank account that pays you interest, or have RRSPs and such, you will be required to submit a "Non-Resident Tax Return" for every taxation year you are out of the country, starting in the taxation year AFTER you left Canada.

    I have to do the same thing, and I live in the US (which has a tax treaty with Canada).

    You realize that to maintain your permanent residency status (for Canada), you must physically be present in the country for aminimum of 2.5 years out of 4? And pay Canadian taxes (on worldwide income)? And not get into trouble with the law (either in Canada or elsewhere)?

  • 1 decade ago

    you realize in order to maintain your permanent residence you have to be living in Canada for a period of time. If you want to write for citizenship you have to maintain a residence within canada for a minimum of 3 years? You just got your permanent residence and you left?

    if you were moving to Peru why didn't you check this out before leaving?

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I don't think so

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.