how to block a website?

to not show on internet explorer

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

May I suggest the most simple option:

Open file C:\Windows \System32 \Drivers \etc \hosts in notepad and add the following lines into it:

127.0.0.1 www.acme-inc.com

127.0.0.1 acme-inc.com

where www.acme-inc.com is the name of the web site you want to block (do not include http:// or everything after slash). Add the name without www. also.

Save the file. Re-start Internet Explorer.

Adding a site to the "Restricted Sites" in IE will not block it - that will merely alter the way it is rendered.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Internet Explorer version 5 and later offer the ability for heighten security and privacy. You can block a site by following the directions below:

1. Load your Internet explorer

2. Click Tools

3. Click Internet Options

4. Click the Privacy tab

5. Under the Privacy window, Click Sites

6. Type in the site address that you want to Block and Click OK. Remember to type all forms of the site.

• 1 decade ago

You can also add a route through "localhost", effectively blocking all traffic there:

Suppose you want to block access to 1.2.3.4 (I think you can use DNS names here, but you can always use "nslookup" to look up the IP addresses). In Unix, you would say:

route add 1.2.3.4 127.0.0.1 1

In Windows, you have to add the netmask:

route add 1.2.3.4 mask 255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1 metric 1

You can fire up a "command prompt" window and just run it, but if you want it to take effect every time you reboot, create a batch file (with notepad), and drag and drop it into Startup in your Windows menu. Maybe you save it as C:\routes.bat, etc.?

Someone suggested an easier way to do this using windows security, however, I thought I would mention this method because it's also easy for someone else to disable. This method, however, someone has to understand how it is being done in order to undo it.

Essentially, all computers have a bogus network interface called the "loopback" interface, with an IP address of 127.0.0.1. Any computer can talk to itself "over the network" using this address. So if you write a program that can operate over a network, you don't have to write some speical case for when you want to talk to your own computer. What we are saying here is "the route to get to 1.2.3.4 is through 127.0.0.1", Well, traffic going to 127.0.0.1 will never find it's way to the real 1.2.3.4.

The netmask, you may need to play with. In the above example, 255.255.255.0 would send all of 1.2.3.* to the loopback interface. 255.255.255.255 would be one addresss.

You can add additional route commands to your batch file as needed (one per line).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can easily and effectivily block access to a website by adding it to your Windows HOSTS file. (Yes, Hosts is capitalised for some strange reason).

1.Go to your HOSTS file which is located at:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC for windows Vista and XP

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC for Windows 2k

C:\WINDOWS for Windows 98 and ME

2. Open HOSTS with Notepad.

The default Windows HOSTS looks like this:

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a "#" symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

#

127.0.0.1 localhost

3. Directly under the line that says 127.0.0.1 Localhost, you will want to type:

127.0.0.1 name of the URL you want to block

For example to block the MySpace.com homepage (highly recommended!), simply type:

127.0.0.1 myspace.com

127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com

Other parts of MySpace could be blocked in a similar way:

127.0.0.1 search.myspace.com

127.0.0.1 profile.myspace.com

etc etc etc...

You may need to add sites with both with and without the "www.". Test after blocking to make sure you got it right.

You can add as many sites as you wish to block in this fashion. I, myself, have over 12000 undesireable and dangerous sites in my personal HOSTS file!

4. Close Notepad and answer "Yes" when prompted.

5. Reboot your computer and attempt to access your now blocked website. You should see a Cannot find server or DNS Error saying: "The page cannot be displayed".

-----------------------------

Some people suggest that you add a website that you wish to block by adding it to Internet Explorer's Restricted Zone. This does NOT totally block a site. It will only RESTRICT a site from certain actions such as using javascript, Active-X and Java etc.

Some people suggest that your add a website to the Internet Explorer 'Privacy' settings. This does not block a site. It only stops that site from using cookies.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

go into internet options, then go to security. there should be an area that says "restricted sites." just click that and you should be able to add the website. Just a warning from personal experience if it is a virus and you are trying to block a site that always pops up you might not get rid of it. I have done that before and it never really worked it always got through.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1. Open a DOS prompt (go to Start -> Run and type CMD

2. CD \windows\system32\drivers\etc

3. EDIT HOSTS.TXT

4. Add a line at the bottom:

127.0.0.1 hostname.of.website.com

5. Exit the editor and close your DOS prompt.

6. Wait a few moments and that site will never come up again, regardless of which browser you use.

• 1 decade ago

Go to tools>internet options>security tab>restricted> and then click the "sites" button and add a site to block

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

don't go there.

but if you meant the list of websites that you've visited,go to tools,internet options then clear history!or you could go to the conrol panel and look for the internet options icon...

• 1 decade ago

u need to download a software that allows u 2 do it

i reccomend 'safe eyes' download it and ull be able to monitor msn chats computer usage time and of course blok websites but ,much more

hope this helps

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Get a security disk and it can show you what programs you can block or unblock or use a firewall

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.