Lisa P asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

What can you do about a cat who insists on drinking out of a toilet?

Favorite Answer

Keep the lid down.

You can invest in a fountain water dish for cats. Or, turn on the faucet for a bit for the cat to get a cold drink.

it is super important that cats get enough water and normally, they don't get enough water (so they get urinary tract infections, etc). The cat probably likes the toilet bowl water because it is cool and probably more fresh than the water you put next to the food bowl once a day. I think there are two options: 1. Keep your toilet bowl super clean; or 2. get one of those pet fountain things from the pet store. They usually have a filter in them and the water runs continuously so it stays pretty fresh. They're not too expensive either, I've seem some at Petco, etc. for $20 or so. my cats love the pet fountain (but one of them does still sometimes drink out of the toilet).

my cats drink out of the toilet all the time. they r fine. but when we use cleaning stuff we close the door to the bathroom and close the lid to the toilet. keep a bowl of fresh water somewhere. and always flush!♥

• Ruth

I have a cat that does the same, even if there is plenty of water for her in her water bowl. I just keep the lid down especially, because I use bleach tablets to keep my toilet clean.

Source(s): Personal experience, knowledge

Do the obvious and provide an alternative.

So shut the lid, and put out a mug or two of water for him to 'sample' out of, as well as keeping his water bowl available. Some cats just want to do something different and the mugs of water give him that chance.

Close the door to the bathroom and close the lid to the toliet. Make sure your cats have plenty of clean drinking water also

Water is water to them, so they will drink it if you leave the seat up! Make everyone close the lid or shut the bathroom door and problem solved.

Run the sink water in the bathroom to break the cat of the first habit. Then you can start with the bowl of water.

lid down or put a chemical cleaner in it that will be unattractive but not harmful to the cat. It will get the message loud and clear.

Keep the lid closed & make sure there is fresh water available for them in a bowl.