moe h
moe h asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

turnips in stew do you have to peel turnips ?

or can you just cut them up?

Favorite Answer

Peel them! The peel LOOKS good, but it's hard to chew and bitter. The turnip is, other than that, maybe the most under rated vegetable out there.

You don't HAVE to peel the turnip as the peels won't hurt you. But they do have a tougher texture than say, a carrot. And they tend to be a little bit bitter. So it kind of depends on what you are going for in your soup. Most people would prefer the peeled turnip.

Bon appetit!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

or can you just cut them up?

Source(s): turnips stew peel turnips: https://tr.im/sbJYo

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/v9kKf

It works....put a few drops of lemon juice in with the turnips to prevent a color change..... .....I cook so many different dishes,and it gets so hectic, the more you can do the night before the smoother the big day will go....having everything you can prepped and ready to go helps. I even make my stuffing the night before...store it in a bowl with plastic film or a plastic storage container with a lid....NEVER in the bird..... I make my pies the night before, any breads/rolls as I do my own from scratch (not the biscuits they hafta be last minute)...I even do my waffles & sausage gravy the night before, grate the potatoes for hash browns as I put on a big breakfast spread for my guests/family as well. The waffles I store in the freezer with waxed paper inbetween and those can get popped right in the toaster-the sausage gravy tastes even better the next day 'cause all the ingredients seem to blend into each other, just re-heat, and the potatoes have time in the fridge to dry out a little which is what you want for good hash browns-dice your onions and have them ready to go as well.....

• mark

If you want to eat the turnips then peal them. If just for making a stock then you don't

I don't generally peel veggies. When you do you lose lots of the vitamins. Oh well, looks like I'm beat! Anyhow, enjoy!

I remove the skins as they don't taste very nice.

you need to peel them

yes

yes - because they are tough and don't taste good.