I need a recipe for a soup that is both red and green. Any ideas?

I am going to a "Red and Green" party and I have to make the soup. I'd love a recipe for a cream soup that would have red and green swirls (in a yin-yang or spiral).

Best Answer

What about a fresh pea soup with a swirl of pureed roasted red pepper? Or a tomato soup with a basil oil swirl?

• aggylu

My mother in law makes a tortellini soup that is red and green, and really good.

Here's one that looks very similar, except my m-i-l adds a bag of fresh spinach instead of frozen. And she adds a can of "Italian" seasoned diced tomatoes.

Right after you assemble the soup, the colors are very bright. By the next day, it does turn a little brown. I'd suggest making it just before the party.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Tortellini-So...

Tomato soup with a sprig of parsley

or tomato and green pea swirled about for your symbol

From The Secret Ingredient Catering & Event Planning - San Jose, Ca

Green Tomato Soup Recipe

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 oz thinly sliced Black Forest ham, chopped (1/2 cup)

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced scallions (from 1 bunch)

1 tablespoon chopped garlic (2 cloves)

1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf

2 lb green unripe tomatoes, chopped

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

2 cups water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Garnish: sour cream (optional)

PreparationHeat oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook ham, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add scallions, garlic, and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until scallions are tender and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes.

Add tomatoes, broth, water, salt, and pepper and simmer, partially covered, until tomatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf and season soup with salt and pepper.

Red Pepper Soup

Ingredients

2 tablespoons Olive oil

3¼ cup Sliced onions

3 Large cloves garlic, crushed

¼ cup Dry white wine

12 Large red bell peppers, cut in 1-inch pieces

2 cups No-salt-added chicken or vegetable stock or broth

2 tablespoons Chopped fresh thyme

¼ to ½ teaspoon Hot red pepper flakes

Salt and white pepper

Crème fraîche for garnish

Thyme sprigs for garnish.

Preparation

1. Put oil in large pot. Add onion when oil is hot. Cook onions until they begin to soften and take on color. Add garlic and cook another minute. Add wine and cook down quickly, until about 1 tablespoon is left.

2. Add peppers, stock, thyme and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.

3. In food processor or blender, purée mixture in batches until smooth. Adjust seasonings.

4. Cover and chill overnight or for as long as 2 days or freeze (whisk well before serving if thawed). Can also be served warm.

5. Serve in demitasse cups or soup bowls, topped with a dab of crème fraîche and a tiny sprig of thyme.

Yield: Makes six large servings, 12 demitasse size.

Source(s): www.TheSecretIngredient.biz

Try tomato soup w/parseley or dill.

Or you can try honeydew soup w/watermelon if you live in a area where it doesnt snow

This recipe looks interesting...and it is red, with green in it....http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/116..... on if you want something "normal" or something different....