Friends, can you tell me what it is that makes your BEEF STEW the best?

Any secret ingredient?

What seasonings?

What ingredients overall?

I guess I am just flat-out asking for your BEST BEEF STEW recipe!!! That would have been simpler, huh? :}

• DeeJay
    Best Answer

I use:

1 lb Stew meat and cut up small bite size pieces with kitchen shears and brown in cooking oil.

Sliced carrots - I use frozen sliced or baby carrots

Thinly sliced celery - about 3 or 4 stalks

Cut up potatoes

1 whole onion chopped

Add water

I don't use salt - I use beef bullion granules to taste.

Bring to boil and cook on low heat with lid for about 2 hours.

Add parsley before serving.

Serve with Bisquick Biscuits or Corn Bread with jam or honey.

I have never had a formulated recipe for stew. I watched my Granny make it and it was so very good.

I think the beef bullion flavor is what makes it taste so good and also cutting the meat very small.

You can also cook all day in your crock pot.

If you like a thick stew, brown floured meat.

I like mine a little more like soup.

• Cheryl

Beef Stew Meat, cut into chunks

Kitchen Bouquet, which is a natural gravy type seasoning

Potatoes

Onions

Carrots (I like baby carrots)

Flour

Oil

1 can of whole kernel corn

Prepare a bowl of flour, add salt, pepper, and garlic powder

Season beef chunks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder

In a bowl put all of the beef chunks, pour kitchen bouquet over them and toss until well coated

Roll each chunck of seasoned beef in kitchen Bouquet, then roll in flour, In a skillet add about 1/2 cup of oil , heat and braise the meat chunks. Braise or sear meat just enough to seal in the flavors

In a Large pot add 2 cans of whole tomatoes, 2 cans of water(use the tomatoe cans) add meat as each piece is finished searing

Add quarter potatoes

Add quartered onions

Add Baby Carrots

Cook until potatoes and carrots are done.

Drain can of corn, then add to pot

Taste, add additional seasoning if needed, probably won't need anything though

Enjoy

The Kitchen Bouquet makes a natural gravy, thats why I roll my meat in it prior to rolling in the flour

You can also add this to a crock pot and cook on slow all day or for about 5 to 6 hours

• Donna

The ingredient that makes my stew good is the LOVE.

2 pkgs stewing beef

2 chopped onions

6 diced potatoes

2 bay leaves , 1/4 tsp black pepper

6 C of water and 6 pkgs of Bovril powder

simmer beef in water with onions and seasonings for 3 hours.

remove meat from pot and add potatoes and cook for 15 min.

remove potatoes from pot and bring juices to a slow boil. mix up 4 Tbsp of cornstarch in 1cup of cold water and slowly add while stirring with a wire whisk for 5 minutes.

place the meat and potatoes in a small roast pan or large casserole dish and slowly mix in the gravy.

cover with a pastry crust or biscuit mix and cook at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven.. Sometimes I add dumplings on top instead. Serve with a side dish of your fav veggies.

This is my late grammas recipe and she called it "Hot Pot".

This is so interesting as everyone has such good variations. In my family my husband likes tomatoes in everything and that does make a good base for a stew. My girls prefer the brown gravy base either way I add lots of celery, onions carrots and potatoes. I take turns making various ways and will be sure to try some of these everyones sharing.

I refuse to use that nasty stew beef when making beef stew. I add two bay leaves to my meat when simmering it until it's fork tender. That adds great flavor to the meat. I don't use a bunch of seasonings, just bay leaves, & pepper. The veggies I use are potatoes, carrots, celery (for flavor) & onions.

Par-boil your veggies first and use the broth as a base for the stew. Make sure you brown the meat thoroughly, and that it is a tender cut. When browning, use a little sherry, madeira, wine, (or even scotch or whiskey for a less sweet taste) and let it carmalize in the pan with some chopped onions and the meat drippings. These small tricks will work wonders.

Some red wine. I remember having some on the stove when a strictly teetotalling friend came over. She raved about the smell and insisted on a taste. It was so delicious she insisted she must have my recipe. I couldn't tell her it was the red wine that added the flavor and just said it was beef bouillon and making sure the beef was well-browned.

INGREDIENTS

2 beef shanks, meaty, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds OR 1 lb+ tendered beef stew

3 cups beef broth

1 can (approx. 10.5 ounces) condensed French onion soup

1 envelope beef stew seasoning

4 cups water

1/2 to 3/4 cup sliced celery

2 medium-large quartered onions

2 medium carrots, sliced, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups

2 to 3 medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch pieces, about 2 to 2 1/2 cups

1 medium white turnip, cubed, about 1 cup

1/2 cup frozen corn kernels

1/2 cup frozen lima beans or baby limas, optional

'Bunch' of small button mushrooms

1/4 cup red dry wine [like a burgundy or cabernet sauvignon]

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt or Creole seasoning

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 tablespoons flour mixed with an equal amount of cold water

You know in all my years of cooking I have never made beef stew. The only kind I ahve eaten is Dinty Moore. What makes beef stew different than pot roast? Except for the shape of the meat that is?

My Mom always tossed the beef in salt and pepper and flour and then browned it . At the end of stewing she would make a rue and add it and the stew was moreless in a gravy opposed to broth...everyone seems to love it. I think the veggies you add can make it your very own ...anything goes!