Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

What percentage gives you an A+, A, A-,B-, etc?

What are the percentages (for example, what is 80% on a test?).

Is C- the lowest? but still a passing mark?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In Canada, it's actually quite different. An A-, A, and A+ is from 80% to 100%. The B's start from 70%-79%. The C's start from 60%-69%. The D's are from 50%-59%. And an F is anything below 50%. So here in Canada, (atleast in Ontario), if you get a 85% you've recieved an A.

• Sharon
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

A=90-100 B=80-89 C=70-79 D=60-69 F=0-59

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It really depends. Everyone is giving you straight answers from High School, which is based on an absolute percentage earned (best possible is 100%). The reality in college is that you are graded on a curve against your peers, not against an absolute.

What that means is you could take freshman Chemistry, and the average grade will be a 50/100, with a standard deviation (SD) of 10 points. What that generally means, in an undergrad class, is that more than 2 SD above the mean is an A (above 70%), 1 to 2 SD is an A-/B+(70-60%), 0-1 SD is a B+/B-(60-50%), the average is a B-, 1 SD below the average is a C+/C (40-50), 1-2 below the SD is a C-/D (30-40%), and lower than 2 SD is a F (under 30%).

Therefore, you might get 70% of the possible points for the course and still get an A+. 60% would be a B+, and 50% would be a B- or C+. What really matters is the mean (average) and standard deviation. You could also get a 90%, but if the mean was 95% with an SD of 2, you could easily get a C for the course. It depends on each class.

PS. Grades an tests are not usually given. If they do, it's based on the mean and standard deviation of the particular test. However, a lot of professors won't go to the bother of assigning a "grade", because what really matters is the total number of points at the end of the course, not the points gained on one test. Also, the curve is skewed higher for graduate school (the average is a B+).

• Michael4 years agoReport

Cool, that's how it works at my high school!

• 1 decade ago

100-97 A+

96-94 A

93-90 A-

89-87 B+

86-84 B

83-81 B-

etc.

65 and under F

• Daniel4 years agoReport

Your Wrong Bud

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

100-90 is A+

90-80 A

80-75 B+

75-60 B

60-55 C+

55-50 C

50-0 F

• 1 decade ago

the passing grade depends on grade.

A+ = 97% B- = 80% D = 63%

A = 93% C+ = 77% D- = 60%

A- = 90% C = 73% F = 0%

B+ = 87% C- = 70%

B = 83% D+ = 67%

• 4 years ago

Well, it's different everywhere but in my understanding is that:

90%-100%: A

80&-89%: B

70%-79%: C

60%-69%: D

If you get anything below 60%, then you would fail.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

an 80% is a b- a c- is a pass but i do suggest getting a higher grade because if the teacher doesnt think that u are trying hard enough then they can mark you down

Good Lux

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

80% is a B

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

93-100 A

90-92 A-

86-89 B+

83-88 B

80-82 B-

76-79 C+

73-75 C

70-72 C-

D is technically passing in high school, i dont know about highschool though.

• ?2 years agoReport

I can tell you did not pass high school. "D is technically passing in high school, i dont know about highschool though." This should read "D is technically passing at the school that I went to, however I do not know the requirements for your school."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.