Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

honest opinions = great appreciation, on my part.?

okay. this is about my weight. and concerns.

see, i'm 14, 5"8, and 122 lbs. my mother took me to this.. ornagic, health specialest person, of whom made a comment, highly suggesting that i'm overweight. i've been worrying about it since. i know it doesn't matter what others think, but, if i /am/ overweight, i'd like to fix that. or if somehow i'm underweight. i want to be healthy..

opinions?

Favorite Answer

My first instinct is to definitely say that there is no way you are overweight. I remember being fourteen and the average weight was in the 120s and that was for average height. For age 14 you are pretty tall so it seems you are quite slender.

I looked online though to double check and according to the Body Mass Index scale (which definitely airs in favor of the skinny), it says you are normal to underweight.

Perhaps the organic health specialist was just referring to some poor eating habits you may have? Either way i wouldn't worry about being overweight.

What you should worry about is being healthy. Go to your doctor and get your annual check-up. This should help you feel much better about yourself and would let you know how you are doing healthwise. Where you are on the side of being slightly underweight I would make sure you take a healthy multivitamin just to make sure you are getting enough nutrients.

Something else to consider is how much of your body is fat compared to muscle. When our weight is mostly muscle it'll be slightly higher but look great and feel great. So if you did want to work on your body you might try some toning exercises like sit ups, push ups, and lifting weights.

At 5'8" you are certainly NOT overweight at just 122 pounds. This supposedly "health" specialist a complete quack! She/He is probably counting on being hired to put you on a diet so she/he would tell you the same thing no matter what your height/weight body type.

Please remember to be more concerned about your health and not your weight. If you eat healthy food and exercise 20-30 min 3-4 times a week your body will find it's naturally healthy weight.

Yeah, that's perfectly normal. Your BMI is right on the line between normal and underweight. The only explanation I can think of that made the doctor say that you're overweight is that you're pretty big (not fat, because you are proportionally normal/underweight, you're just tall) for your age (14 right?). So if he is saying that, he must mean overweight compared to others your age. But you're just tall, don't worry about it. If you dieted to lose weight, you would be way, WAY too skinny.

As everyone else here is saying, there is nothing wrong with your weight. Just eat when your hungry, stop when your full, get some exercise, and you'll be fine. People like your health specialist are one of the reasons why many young girls develop eating disorders.

you don't sound overweight. do a pinch test ( pinch the roll on your stomach) and see how thick it is. If you're happy with it then worries.

In any case what really matters is how active you are. We are made for a very active life style and the older you get the harder it is to achieve that. Tho will power can conquer all I reckon

You are at a healthy weight for your height. Take your mums advice and start eating heathly now! This is the time, once your in your 20-70's it will only be harder on your part. Adapt to these new foods and have fun with it.

All my best!

This is a fine weight. Remember that the "organic health specialist" is there to make money. What would you buy if he said you look great and have no need for any of the supplements he/she is pushing?

Sweetheart, you are just like me when I was your age. I was 15 and 5'10 and weighed just about that much a little more though. Your no where close to being over weight

• denita

Very informative, and credible. the sole qualms I even have, are own writing selections. i could additionally point out his beginner wrestling accolades, such because of the fact the Olympic Gold Medal. and how his beginner wrestling skills influence his professional wrestling and impression on his wrestling form. different than that, particularly stable!

If your height and weight are true you sound like you'd be very skinny. Which leads to the ? why would your doctor say that?

I would talk with your mom