What happens after I graduate from Flight school?

Got a B.Comm, been working for 2 years plus , now I'm 25 (turning 26). I'm hoping to get in September for the 4 year program at Seneca...Question: how long will it take me to make at least 50k a year? I'm willing to work however many jobs I need to make up my hours/experience, etc...

Favorite Answer

You'd better get a firm estimate of how much it will actually cost you to get all your ratings, plus tuition, books, and living expenses.

My son has a degree in aeronautical science (airline pilot concentration) from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, and graduated Magna C*m Laude. He was there for 2 1/2 years and graduated with $125,000 student loan debt. The program required VFR, IFR, commercial, and multiengine ratings in order to graduate. Each time he flew, he had to pay for fuel, the instructor, and the plane rental; basically, about $130 every time he flew.

None of his friends (except the Turkish guy who went back to Turkey after graduation) was able to find an airline job, even the ones who had straight A's from the most prestigious flight school in the world (ERAU); not even with a regional carrier.Look on the airlines' websites under "careers". That will give you an idea of the number of multiengine flight hours they require to be considered eligible for a position.

Most of my son's friends either joined the navy or the airforce to get their hours. The problem with that, though, is the 3 months of officer candidate school (which is usually a wait of 3-6 months to get in), then basic flight training (another 6 months of waiting before you start), 3 months of basic, then wait again until you go to advanced (another 3 months). Once you complete advanced (another 6 months of training, minimum) and get your wings, then you have an eight-year committment to the service. It basically adds up to about 12 years in total.

When you get out of the service, an airline could hire you as a first officer (co-pilot), at under $35,000/yr, just so you "pay your dues". It can take several years until you make captain; some never get that far.

So, to answer your question-- it could take a good 15 years from now until you earn $50,000.

Research all of this VERY carefully before you jump in with both feet. It's very expensive and the prospects are pretty poor.

Source(s): My son is a naval aviator. He entered the navy in 2002, but still owes them 6 1/2 more years.

He was 894 at the naval academy, not flight school. He went to the US Naval Academy at Annapolis, which isn't in the ivy league, and has nothing to do with Harvard. Last, but not least, it wasn't his flying ability that made him a hero, but staying, while injured, in a POW camp for 4 extra years to benefit the war cause and the American people. Vote for Obama and bash McCain all you want, but when you attack his war record, it only makes you, and your cause, look like complete wastes of space. To answer your question, no they shouldn't stop it. If his father and grandfather were good enough to become Admirals, then there was a pretty good chance that McCain was going to be a good sailor, which, in the end, he turned out to be. Coltrane, if you think spending an extra 4 years in a POW camp, just to save face, is taking it lightly, you must be an Army ranger, Navy seal AND Marine.

First, try posting in the correct section. Special education deals with the specialized educational needs of people with cognitive and developmental disabilities. Try higher education. Most of us working in special education may never make 50k a year!!!