How do I start therapy at Kaiser?

Do I just call the Psychology department and schedule an appointment? I don't know who I'd be scheduling it with. How do I choose which therapist I see, if I can? Is there some place I can get some sort of introduction to the different staff thee and see who I click with?

I have Kaiser insurance, and I know I can start any day I want to and it's covered and all that...I just have no idea where to start. I don't want to pour my heart out to a name drawn out of a hat.

• doug k
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like you understand how your Kaiser benefits work but are wondering how to pick a therapist?

Kaiser will only pay for providers on their network. I'm not in Kaiser myself, but most carriers like that probably have a separate number to call for "behavioral" services. They can provide a list of eligible providers. That info might be available on their website.

The next step is finding out which providers are even accepting new patients. Then, the hard part comes. It's really a crapshoot when you are looking for a therapist. Some will be a good match for you, and some won't. Unless you get a recommendation from someone you trust, you're basically leaving it up to chance. All I can say is that if you meet with a therapist and it's a "bad fit," then tell them and move on to another. They'll understand - you aren't saying the person isn't a good therapist, you're just saying they don't match your style. the therapist might even be able to suggest a peer who is a better match for you.

Good luck to you! I've been through several therapists in the past 20 years. I finally found the perfect one about five years ago. I hope it doesn't take you that long.

• Simmi

Why don't you contact your primary physician and ask? They could tell you the procedure of doing this. I don't think you would have to pour your heart out and you could find out if you can pick a therapist.