Tara M
Tara M asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How to get bigger legs?

I'm a pretty tiny girl, I have been my whole life. (5'6" only 108lbs) For the most part, I'm ok with my body, I'm reasonably tall and slim, but I feel like I never really grew out of my little chicken legs. I feel like since I'm already pretty small, the potential to have nice legs is there...SOMEWHERE. How do I go about increasing the size of my legs? (primarily my thighs, but my calves could use a little work too) Preferably exercises I can do at home.

Thanks in advance ; )

Favorite Answer

To add the desired bulk you want, you'll have to do some resistance training. Find a set of stairs. Next, figure out a way to add some weight to your frame...dumbbells are great if you have them; if not, cans of soup, grocery bags filled with items (about the same weight in both is ideal), weighted backpack, etc. Climb the stairs (2 steps at a time) in a very controlled, very slow manner; squeezing your thighs and butt on every step. Do as many sets of stairs as you possibly can, rest, then repeat five more times.

Next, try the squat. Again, you'll need to add some weight. Feet start shoulder width apart. Do three sets to failure (be sure that your knees do not extend out over your feet. Dropping your butt first and extending your butt out will help accomplish this.) Next, move your feet in closer together (about 5-6 inches apart) and repeat. Then, feet out wide and repeat procedure.

Stationary lunges next. Find a narrow hallway (one that you can touch both sides) and place one foot in front of the other (about 2 feet from heel of front foot to toe of back foot). Balancing yourself by lightly toucning the walls, back knee touches the ground and back up. Keep your back straight, head up, and squeeze with your front thigh on the way up. Do reps to failure then switch legs. Three sets each leg.

For calves, go back to the stair case, get your weights, and stand on the step with just your toes on the edge (across the "balls" of your feet) facing towards the staircase. Let your heels dip down until your calves are completely stretched, then push back up. Again, very slow and controlled. Five sets to failure.

Do this routine 2-3 times per week, and try to increase the amount of weight you use from week to week.

Be sure to supplement your diet with a little extra protein, especially after you exercise, to support your new muscle!

Source(s): see profile

There are some great sports you can play that would help out a lot. Rollerblading, soccer, ice skating, hiking, and skiing will all give an all around leg workout. Personally, fun activities like these are the only way I can stick to my workout.

If you're determined to work out at home, stairclimbing machines are probably the best for your legs. For the calves, strength shoes give a solid workout in a short amount of time (do a web search for 'strength shoes').

Squats, lunges, calf raises and leg extensions are other excercizes you can do. To build muscle, use more weight and less reps. For more tone, use less weight and more reps.

Disclaimer: As always, check with your doctor before starting a new workout regime!

Doing them at home is easier than in the gym so you'll have no problems here.

For your thighs the best one is to perform Squats.

Stand with feet shoulder width apart and bend at the knee as if you're sitting on an imaginary seat but stop before you fall over or hit the ground(obviously). You can try it with some free weights or bottles of water etc in your hands.

For your calves just get something in each hand and hold them down by each side, feet flat on the floor. Stand up on your tiptoes and then go back down again. This is called a calf raise.

It's gonna be better if you perform these with weights but to be honest you can use just about anything you want as long as it's heavy enough for you to feel the exercise working.

Here's the key though:

If you want to build muscle SIZE you should use a weight that you can lift about 8 times, have a rest then do it again. Same for both exercises.

If you wanted to get TONED you should use a slightly lighter weight, one you can lift about 12 times, then rest and repeat it.

Source(s): I'm a fitness instructor and personal trainer in Newcastle

If you have suffered that unpleasant issue of sciatica for a couple of months or years then is the time to change this with the eBook of Glen Johnson, Sciatica SOS from here https://tr.im/NAM2l .

Sciatica SOS program goals the sciatica's origin triggers by utilizing only normal techniques and consequently, the danger for just about any complication is minimal.

Sciatica SOS manual includes a very clear to see the content. It doesn't include any puzzling instructions or complex terminology, and you are able to integrate this remedy in to your daily life easy.

Glen Johnson also presents important bonuses in the Sciatica SOS package. They are five advantage courses alongside lifetime upgrades, bonus you will discover that they're very useful.

Leg press machine (legs are a very stong muscle group and they can press a lot of weight, which is needed to stress them to make them grow), Squats and eat protein foods to increase the lean muscle.

At 5'11" you are lovely and tall and even thick thighs don't look all that bad with your kind of height. Be consoled. I'm only 5'2" and my bottom half is very heavy. My short height doesn't help either. I look like one of Botticelli's paintings. Great on top and big and round below. Be happy with what you've got. Stand tall and proud.

• ?

make meal at your home as well as grow it in your do the job

• my best advice is to get a pair of ankle weights, you can get them at wal-mart for like $12-$18 or something like that, and do a lot of walking, which is good for your heart, which also helps you life a longer, healthier life, anyway, with ankle weights, walk somewhere, some people like walking up and down a nearby mall, for me i usually like to walk downtown, and walk around there for a couple hours, i end up doing 4+ miles, which is helping me lose weight, but doing that with ankle weights should help you get bigger legs, and just wear them all the time to work or school, wherever you go

If you have no idea on how to cook tasty meals. If you are boarded of the exact same food and want to try one thing different but in the exact same time healthful than you want a program

Choose faster-paced styles of yoga such as Ashtanga or perhaps Vinyasa to burn more calories while also getting a good stretch.