Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelLatin AmericaOther - Latin America · 1 decade ago

is it safe for single women sm kids to travel to colombia maybe even stay there?

Favorite Answer

Let me disagree with Godzilla. I am Colombian, I have lived in Manizales, Pereira, Bogotá, Valledupar, Medellín, Pasto, etc. I know that many bad news about Colombia are heard worldwide, but this is not as unsafe a country as the news say. There are guerrillas, yes of course, it would be a lie if I denied it, there are some out of the law groups, who live in the south east part of Colombia mainly, in the "Llanos" and near the Amazon, but of course they are not in the cities. There are thieves of course, like in any other country, you go to US and if you are not aware enough you could get your things stolen; good and bad people are everywhere. Now I live in Valledupar (you can search it in Google Earth), and I use to travel a lot to Santa Marta, Barranquilla, Bogotá, Riohacha, Guajira, Cartagena, etc; and I don't find it dangerous at all. Every night I finish my work at 7:00 pm, and sometimes I walk to my house, when I'm not very tired of course, and I don't feel afraid at all. Let me tell you, Colombia is a very beautiful country, it is really worth to come here, besides, the people are very friendly, specially with foreigners. If you don't speak a word of spanish, it would be very good to learn some words, because only a tiny portion of the population speaks english. I can reccommend you beautiful places in Colombia if you want, I would be happy to hear that you're coming!!

It all depends on the areas you are going to staying. Its not dangerous in every place. Just stay in good areas and you will be fine. I was there and didn't have a problem and I saw lots of gringos there too and they didn't have a problem either.

Like I said, find the names of the no-no areas and u should be fine. Middle class and Upper class neighborhoods should be ok. Some poor areas are ok too, don't get me wrong poor people are honest and good people of course! it will be ignorant to put everyone in one sac but in many poor areas there are "the ones" who are the bad guys because the need is high. Ask the locals.

Bogota is safe. Cali is not. Medellin marginally safe. Villavicencio not safe. Cartagena, safe. Barraquilla,safe. Santa Marta, Safe. Buenaventura, not safe, Barranca, not safe. Pasto, not safe. San Augustin, not safe. Cucuta, not safe. Leticia, maybe safe. Melgar, safe. Giradot, safe. And that being said, even in the "safe" places you need to be smart. Would I go there if I was a single mom with kids? Yes I would. But I would use my head for more than a hat rack.

Source(s): Live there

yes it is safe..most people think that it is like the most dangerous country ever but its really not.

i lived when i was 13 and my friends and i went out like to the mall and stuff and nothing has ever happened to me.

but i would say it is kinda not safe if ur wearing like fancy jewelry and if you are walking down the street wearing other fancy stuuff

• xyz

I agree it is not safe unless you are a Colombian and really know your way around,,but even that doesn't make you safe..my step son is a Colombian and recently was robbed at a gas station of his weekly pay..we would like to go visit but he says no. don't do it..

If this is for a holiday, do no longer stay in something decrease than a three action picture star hotel, keep away from serviced apartments cos those are suites and there may be adult men in the different rooms. At inns, get a room on the threshold of the raise so which you do no longer could stroll down long corridors. If this is to stay, choose an place of abode with good risk-free practices and in a powerful residential section, ideally a construction with families - youngsters and previous human beings. in case you drink, be careful of pleasant adult men who grant to rigidity you residing house or purchase you beverages. in case you're a foreigner, be greater suitable careful esp once you go out at evening, as there are adult men who think of that white women are continually activity for intercourse. additionally by way of our stupid action picture industry, there are adult men who think of that as quickly as a woman says "No" she rather skill definite. Watch your actual limitations - issues like hugs, pats on the backs and so on may be extremely misinterpreted. attempt to no longer return and forth by vehicle rickshaw after 9 or 10 pm esp in case you're on my own. in case you utilize radio taxis, continually be sure you get the cellular form of the driving force. shop it on your telephone and supply him a ignored call in his presence to substantiate that the quantity he's given you is right. you additionally can ask the taxi business enterprise beforehand for his quantity, vehicle quantity and make contact with. or you may sms it t to somebody in case you're rather paranoid. do no longer decide for walks on my own at evening, and by no skill into parks at evening. attempt to have a cellular telephone, it facilitates to sense greater safeguard. you may get pay as you go playing cards from the telephone companies. Take smart precautions and you're able to be superb. Bangalore is extremely risk-free and there are a number of single women residing here. in case you're no longer here for a holiday yet to stay and artwork here, attempt to connect some women's networks so which you would be able to fulfill different women and get greater comments from them. in case you're an NRI or foreigner you may connect the remote places Womens club.

If you are Colombian Ccoz is right. If you are not, and especially, if you are from the US, Godzilla is right.

Source(s): Live in Usaquen

i dont think it is safe for a army down there,hell no