Hair Loss- Anorexia?

I was anerexic last year and my hair started falling out this summer. I talked to my dermathologist and she mad me get biotin. Is there any one who went through this and recovered from it and got all their hair back?How long will it take?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • rosieC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Poor nutrition. Poor eating can contribute to hair loss. This is why some people with eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia lose their hair: The body isn't getting enough protein, vitamins, and minerals to sustain hair growth. Some teens who are vegetarians also lose their hair if they don't get enough protein from non-meat sources. And some athletes are at higher risk for hair loss because they may be more likely to develop iron-deficiency anemia.

Tips for healthy hair growth:

1. Eat adequate amounts of protein.

Protein is composed of the amino acids essential for the building of new cells, including hair. Five amino acids are of particular relevance to hair growth - cystine, cysteine, methionine, arginine and lysine.

Inadequate protein intake over a lengthy period can force hair into the resting phase with shedding a few months later. It is obvious then that sufficient portions of protein rich foods should form part of your daily diet. The best sources of dietary protein are lean meats, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy products, soy, nuts, grains and seeds. At least 15% of your daily calories should come from protein-rich foods.

2. Eat adequate amounts of useful carbohydrates.

Carbs are an essential source of energy and help in the growth of body tissues, including hair. They are an important source of the B vitamins that are vital to healthy hair.

It is important that you concentrate on consuming non-refined carbs rather than the sugars and white flour that are so prevalent in many over-refined carb products. You should place an emphasis on consuming vegetables, fruits, whole grains, brown rice and potatoes. It is recommended that you obtain 55-60% of your daily calories from the carbohydrates found in these foods.

3. Achieve a healthy balance of dietary fats.

Fat is used in energy production and can be found in both animal and plant foods. Your body needs sufficient levels of fat to maintain good health. That fat should be obtained from a mixture of lean animal and plant sources. Roughly 25-30% of your daily calories should come from these sources.

4. The right nutritional balance is one that suits your personal circumstances.

How much of each food group you eat depends on a host of factors including age, sex, health and level of physical activity. When choosing meals and snacks, take account of the following key principles of sound nutrition:

- Eat a variety of foods.

- Apply moderation to your consumption of junk foods.

- Choose natural and lightly processed foods as often as possible.

- Do not over cook.

5. Support a nutritious diet with a few carefully chosen supplements.

Following a nutritious diet is essential for good hair health, but on its own this may not be sufficient for a number of reasons:

- Modern farming methods may deplete the nutrient quality of food.

- High stress levels may diminish nutrients in your body.

- Dieting may affect nutrient levels.

- Aging reduces the ability of our bodies to utilize certain nutrients.

- Exercise can deplete some nutrients.

It may be sufficient to supplement with a well-balanced multi-vitamin / mineral product but a number of products are available that specifically cater for the requirements of healthy hair.

You might find the links below helpful on how to address the problem of hair loss:

http://www.hairloss-/

reversible.com/discus/messages/3/47.html

http://www.myhairlossadvisor.com/

I myself, ended up losing a patch of hair behind my right ear due to constantly plucking my gray hairs due to premature graying. Everybody warn me including the doctors that they would not grow again and I will have this bald spot. But today, i have a whole head of healthy hair.

You can address the problem by eating a more healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals- esp calcium with Vit D ( Vit D is needed in calcium absorption) ;Calcium can also be found in milk.and cheese. Comb the hair when wet and brush when dry. Apply hot-oil treatments to stimulate growth and restore moisture. Try to use coconut oil.

A trivia for your question on how long:

How fast does hair grow?

: The speed of hair growth is roughly 1.25 centimeters or 0.5 inches per month, being about 15 centimeters or 6 inches per year. With age the speed of hairgrowth might slow down to as little as 0.25 cm or 0.1 inch a month.

Because of your age, I'm sure you'll grow your hair in no time. -esp with the proper nutrition. Don't worry! You don't need Biotin. Just keep cutting.

Source(s): professional nurse
  • 5 years ago

Source(s): #1 Hair Regrowth Method : http://hairloss.siopu.com/?zpc
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Hi there,

There are many factors that can attribute to hair recession or massive hair fall and you need to find out which one exactly is responsible for the problem you are having now. Of course male pattern baldness is still the most common cause, but, for instance, if you are a woman things are deinitely different! This is the reason why you will need to really dig down and see the source of your problem.

Other causes of hair loss may include (both in men and women): severe mental or emotional stress, excessive use of coloring or bleaching agents, traction alopecia or excessive strain on the scalp due to braiding or corn rowing, hormonal changes, alopecia areata or hair loss due to autoimmune diseases, and many more. Each of these conditions will require a different approach in order to achieve success regardless of whether you're going to be using conventional or natural methods.

In my opinion it's much better to use natural methods as opposed to conventional ones, they're cheaper, have less to no side effects, and often more effective.

A good way of regaining your full head of healthy natural hair is well described on this guide: http://hairagain.toptips.org/

Cheers.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The hair is not just a part of your body and it is a symbol of beauty, status and health. It is important for you to take proper care of your health in order to prevent early hair loss. Learn here https://tr.im/0JWvY

It is not a very serious problem and with a little bit of caution you will be able to prevent further hair loss.

There are certain uncontrollable factors like pregnancy conditions or certain illness or genetic factors that will result in hair loss. But, this does not mean that you cannot do something about your hair loss.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

If you don't get enough protein and nutrition, your hair pretty much dies. You might not notice until it all falls out that it's dead, but by then it would be too late. I recommend that you stop the anorexia and get some proteins in you like meat and bread and hearty foods that are good for you.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hair loss affects both men and women. Here are some natural remedies that can help boost hair growth: https://bitly.im/aMQ9e While genetics plays a role, there are other factors, including: hormonal imbalances, an underactive thyroid gland, nutrient deficiencies and insufficient scalp circulation.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Biotin is used in hair growth and alopecia treatments because one of the main symptoms of biotin deficiency is hair loss. Other symptoms of deficiency include brittle nails, depression, fatigue, or rashes on the facial areas. Nutritional supplements of biotin are thought to overcome the deficiency of biotin, however genuine deficiencies of biotin are rare. Brewer’s yeast and the royal jelly are the richest sources of biotin and are used as nutritional supplements that “boost” vitamin levels to produce added benefits to the hair. Some other rich sources of biotin are nuts, egg yolk, barley, soy, cauliflower, liver, pancreas, kidney, and brewer’s yeast.

It will take 4-8 weeks

Source(s): Anti Hair Loss just 7 days!!!! http://profinast.org/home.php?aprompt22
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.