Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

do people speak in clicks in Ethiopia?

like instead of words do they go "click-click-click"

someone told me this is true

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I had a friend from Ethiopia once.. the way she pronounced her name was really something.. it did sound like click-click-click.

I think that voiceless consonant sounds like 'k' and 't' for example, are pronounced by themselves, without a vowel sound attached to them.

But they do have words.. just the sounds are different.

My friend told me, I don't know if it's true or not, that her language had all the sounds of every language in the world.

That seems like a little too much to me, but when I told her the words of a song in Spanish she wrote them down using her alphabet and then she read the whole thing without any mistakes at all.

I was really amazed.

Source(s): L.
  • 1 decade ago

Well there are ejective consonants in several of the main languages of Ethiopia, including Amharic and Oromo, however these are really just regular consonants which you speak with a closure/opening of the glottis, and so aren't the kinds of clicks one would hear in "South Park," or in that movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy." Most of the languages especially famous for clicks are the Khoisan languages, a language family with pockets of speakers in different parts of the central parts of Africa. These languages are famous for having lots of phonemes, some so many that it's not possible represent them with all of the letters and punctuation marks of the Latin alphabet. In addition, some of the Bantu languages in the south, including Xhosa and Zulu (from South Africa) have click consonants. So, as a short answer, no, the Ehtiopian languages don't have clicks per se, but have letters which are different kinds of consonants which sound more like clicks than normal pulmonic egressive consonants. However, languages with what one usually thinks of as clicks are better represented by the Khoisan family, and to a lesser extent members of the Bantu language group.

• The clicks are in the South African Xhosa language. It's really amazing to see the native speakers talk it.

One Love !!!

---

• 1 decade ago

No. Amharic is a Semitic language. The click languages belong to the southern part of Africa and are part of the Bantu group of languages. http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9010166/click...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No we do not click when we speck Amharic

that "someone" lied to you

• Rahwa
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No, not in Ethiopia.

Source(s): Ethiopian-American
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

lmao i cant believe you actually asked that..dont believe everything shane tells you lol

• Belie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I think you need to remove the adult from your username--you've not yet reached that level.

• 1 decade ago

No we don't!

&*(%#$^$%&^&*%^*!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.