gussie
gussie asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why don't vets recommend glucosmine as a supplement to assist in keeping joints healthy?

My sister has had several large breed dogs and it seems that larger breeds are susceptable to hip dysplasia and similar issues.It seems to me that a vet should encourage preventitive medicine to promote healthy pets.That is what the health care system is encouraging us to practice for ourselves.....healthier lifestyle choices to live a healthier life.My sister takes her dogs to the vet for needles,check ups and when the need arrices.Not once was it every mentioned that supplements could help her dog.She had used the vet recommended feed which is now a source of concern for her.Any input would be great.Thanks

EDIT When I used the term perventative medicine it was just a figure of speech.You're right when you say herbs are not medicine.A more accurate phrase would have been preventative measures.

• Kate A
    Favorite Answer

Many vets advise using various supplements. The only vets that don't mention this are seriously behind the times. The person that suggested that vets only get 3 hours of nutrition has obviously not been to vet school. At the minimum, we get 3 hours every week for an entire semester. In addition, we take biochemistry, gastroenterology, and most of us ( me included) had to take at least 2 nutrition courses in undergraduate as a part of our pre vet program. So to say that we know nothing about nutrition is ridiculous.

Now off the soap box. Your sister's dogs can have x-rays to check for dysplastic hips. This is a congenital problem that, if it going to happen, will happen by 2 years of age. It is good to get baseline radiographs A) see if there is a problem and B) to determine how bad it is. There are also problems with dysplastic elbows.

Nutritional support for joint and bone issues starts in the puppy phase. Large breed dogs need to be fed a large breed puppy food. In addition, there are new studies that suggest waiting until males are adults to neuter them. This is something that you need to discuss with your vet, to weigh the pros and cons depending on your dog's temperment. This is not the case for female dogs. All that are not quality breeding animals should be spayed before their first heat cycle to decrease the chances of mammary carcinoma.

There are several foods now that are commercially produced that have theraputic levels of of glucosamine and fatty acids. The best one for my dogs was j/d made by hills. I have also heard good things about Purina JM. Most store bought foods do not have enough of these additives to be of any use.

In addition, one of the best things that you can do for these animals is to keep them thin and fit. Also acupuncture and massage are great for helping many of these animals.

Some vets do - it was through my vet that my dog was put on it when she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. I was told she would need surgery by the time she was 2 or 3. I tried a different vet, he put her on glucasamine and she never had any surgery and when she died a t 9 (unrelated) she wasn't on any painkillers or anti-inflammatories and unless she ran for a couple of hours solid you wouldn't know anything was wrong.

Although glucasamine won't help the physical deformity of hip dysplasia, the main reason for surgery in hip dysplasia cases is because of pain caused by the arthritis that the deformed joints suffer from. Therefore by feeding a suppliment that can prevent the arthritis to a certain extent you reduce the dogs pain and increase their quality of life.

Good basic care of dogs with hip dysplasia should include keeping the dogs weight down, feeding a joint suppliment like glucosamine, some fish oil as well would be good. Exercise wise hydrotherapy is really good, and lots of calm walking. If they are going to run around and go mad then not for more than a few minutes at a time.

• Leigh

MANY studies show that glucosamine, MSM, & Chondroitin just don't work...that's probably why many vets don't recommend it.

I saw some good results for a while from giving it to one of my dogs, though. You refer to it as "preventative medicine" but it's not recognized as a legitimate medicine.

The problem that I have with giving it is that the "herb and supplement" industry is unregulated, and there's no way to be sure of what you're getting in each bottle. Some have much more of an active ingredient than claimed, some have little to none of the active ingredient. I just don't trust the companies that put it out anymore, and I won't until they're better regulated.

It's sort of a funny situation. Equine vets have suggested it for years--glucosamine, MSM, and chontrotin. I have seen myself how much it has helped some of my show horses and retired horses. Yet human doctors and many small animal vets still do not recommend these supplements. I guess they figure they can get more money through treating the symptoms rather than the root cause of the problems. I suppose it varies case by case how effective these supplements can be and that is why many of the trials are inconclusive. This is the real reason many do not suggest it.

• your sister needs a new vet. every vet i've used in the last 15 yrs have encouraged glucosamine for my big dogs. the last 2 have even told me they reccomend a glucosomine supplement starting at 6 mths old for the large breeds/types.

sounds like your sisters vet may be anticipating future hip surgery's and arthritis treatments. believe it or not, i knew a vet that admitted the only reason he was a vet was because his father was a vet and he liked the money. but he dis-liked pets.

Glucosamine will be fine but don't go to very high strength yet as he might need that as he gets older. Human glucosamine is the same as veterinary but the vet stuff is astronomical prices. In the region of £45 to £90 per month. Try Holland and Barrett for pretty good quality at a cheaper price. Also online chemist like Hyperdrug do all the dog glucosamines and much cheaper than the vets. The vets only sell Cortaflex, Serraquin and Cosequin -- all silly prices.

• CF_

some vets DO reccommend it.. and some foods do have it as an ingredient..

it wont prevent hip dysplasia.. it is more for arthritis control..

Yucca also helps..

as far as the food the vet told her to buy - this is common.. vets dont really get an education on ingredients or brands so when approached by a food company who market through vets they have nothing to compare it to.. they only hear what the food rep is saying.. AND are PAID to sell certain foods.. so they do.. such foods are often crappy (Eg Science Diet) but dont blame the vet.. its the system

The vet that I currently am using started us on Glucosamine for my GSD. Unfortunately she already had hip problems. We had been at a different vet for years but after killing one of our cats and not being able to tell us why decided we couldn't use him any more. So the new vet got us on glucosamine and even though she already had hip and arthritis problems it definitely helped especially when she got Lyme disease.

Some vets do, mine did, and it has helped my 7 year old dachshund who has disk problems, he gets 1/2 a human grade tablet at night and is doing much, much better.

Certainly worth a try and can't hurt the dog.

My Jindo is on Nutro in the silver bag, sold at Petsmart, with glucosime and joint support. It is heloing her alot. It took about a month to really get into her system. Also the cold also effects her.