Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

How do i get rid of hard water before i put it in my fish tank?

when i fill my fish tank with tap water, it will get cloudy and there will be a lot of build up within just a few days. I dont know if they are putting somthing new in the water or what? I have done reaserch on this issue and it is called hard water. And i have no clue how to get rid of it, before filling the tank.....

And yes i condition the water, i have had fish for many years. And i am not dumb.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You should do some quick tests to determine the general hardness (GH) and carbonate hardness a.k.a. alkalinity (KH) of your water. There are a number of tests you can buy for it, such as the ones from API which cost about $7-8 each. If your GH is above 30dH (530ppm) and/or your KH is above 20 dKH (about 350ppm), you've got pretty hard water.

There are different ways to lower hardness. One is to add distilled water. Distilled water, by definition, has zero hardness. So if you added distilled water to tap water in a 1:3 ratio, you would reduce hardness by 1/(1+3) i.e. 25%. You can also reduce KH by simply boiling your water before you add it in - the deposits you see are likley carbonates, and boiling the water causes them to break-down into carbon dioxide and bubble out. Also, you should check to see if you somehow have any limestone ornament in your tank, as they leach carbonates into the water also.

Don't boil all your water and don't make your tank too distilled - hard water is actually quite stabilizing in terms of pH. This also means that as you lower hardness, do it gradually and measure pH to make sure you don't send it crashing. You should also try and keep the mix constant - as pH and KH/GH swings are dangerous for fish. If your hardness isn't causing excessively high pH (i.e. it's 8.5 or lower), you might just consider living with the hardness, and just wiping down the deposits from time to time. That way you won't have to deal with the complicated balancing act.

There is another sneaky possibility - the cloudiness could be a microorganism bloom - both bacterial and algae blooms can cause cloudy water. In fact, cloudy water is a temporary condition that occurs with most tanks that are cycling. What are your nitrates at? If they're consistently above 30ppm, algae could be the culprit.

Source(s): love of fish (general aquarium and fishkeeping info) - http://www.loveoffish.com/
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hard water is a result of lime in general drinking water, so check your ph.

Reverse osmosis is far too expensive for the hobbyist, but you can get a cheap tap water filter that will remove the thick of it in the region of £20.

Check with your water company; might just be they are flushing the pipes?

The other possibility is infusoria, which would suggest a food source; if your not over feeding the water isn't being treated properly at the pump station. That would be a human health hazard.

• 1 decade ago

You need to buy water conditioner to clear up the tank. It's called Aqua Safe, and is available at walmart. It works better than the others. Second of all, you need to buy food that will not cloud up the water. Wardley Essentials won't cloud up the tank. Also, making frequent water changes will help clear up the water. And, do you have filters you change often? Sometimes the filters can get extremely dirty, so they need to be changed often. Hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

well depends what set up do you have if its saltwater RO water is good or just buy a product to get rid of chlorine thats all

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.