Do you remember when?

The telly took five minutes to warm up

Nearly everyone’s Mum was in when you came home from school

No one owned a pure bred dog

When I shilling a week was enough pocket money

White dog poo on the street

When you only had to come home when the street lights came on.

Your Mum wore stockings that came in two pieces

Every male teacher wore a tie

Every female teacher had her hair tidy every day and wore high heels

You got your windscreen wiped for free at the petrol pump

Cereals had real toys hidden in the box

You thought is was a privilege to be taken for a meal by your parents to a real restaurant

A Ford Capri was your dream car

When your school threatened to keep you back a year if you didn’t do better………and they did!

No one ever asked where the car keys were, because they were in the car, in the ignition, and it was unlocked.

Lying on your back on the grass with your friends saying “that cloud looks like………”

Playing footie without adults to tell you the rules of the game

Stuff from shops came without a safely cap or hermetic seal because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger

When being sent to the headmasters office was nothing to what you would get if your parents heard that you had been sent there

And with all our progress don’t you wish that you could slip back just for a day and savour the slower pace with the children of today

Basically we were in fear of our lives, but not from drugs or gang related crimes

But our parents and grandparents were a bigger threat

But we survived because their love was greater than the threat

Summers spent at the beach, donkey rides, powder lemonade, hoop la, bike rides that went on for miles.

When snow was so thick you never saw grass for weeks

When you read The Famous Five and Secret Seven

Watching Laurel and Hardy, Roy Rogers and The Lone Ranger at the pictures

Newsreels before the movies

Do you remember what a double dare was

Milk deliveries in glass bottles on the doorstep

Pogo sticks

Four digit telephone numbers

Red phone boxes where you had to press button A then button B

Metal ice cube trays

45 rpm records

Spud guns

Izal toilet paper

Twin tub washing machines

Reel to reel tape recorders

Bazooka Joe pink bubble gum

Mojos

Two bob for a gallon of petrol

Decisions were made by eeny meeny miny mo

Race issues meant who won the relay race

Being caught in school with a weapon meant a catapault

Being belted at school and your parents never had the teacher charged

There was no TV till 4pm

Spinning round, stopping then falling down was a cause to giggle

Putting playing cards into the spokes of your cycle turned any bike into a motorcycle

Taking drugs meant getting the polio injection

If you remember all of these then you have LIVED

Kamran..........i'm trying to imagine you with a personality, but i haven't got that long to sit around.

Barbie, dont know if you are uk or usa, a shilling was pre decimal money. what now is 10p

Mossey ......great wasn't it. clip round the ear from the local bobby....lol.. todays kids havent lived to have the freedom we got.

Izo....look deary im not as old as you think i am...i can just see into the past!!...my birthday is next month and I will hit 19

Zumph.....cheers...that made me laugh!

James B.....and don't forget God save the queen every night after the tv stations closed down.

Violated........i pity you. You definately need a touch of the old times. those were happy days, id rather have them than when you were a kid.....look how you've turned out??!!

Lady Isis......tell me about it...lol. if you didnt crease it then it just slid off your bum....lol.

Support worker, You should put a post on with one of your own. you are remembering things i had forgotten all about. we used to tie a pound note with our mums invisible sewing thread and when someone tried to pick it up we would whisk it away...lol

CT...do you mean the caramel bars with the nuts that were called "Nutty" bars.? no one seems to remember them except me...they were great. and I didn't think you'd be old enough to remember all that.

Scream......oh you have put a smile on my face mentioning the two fags and matches. i remember going into the local cafe and buying them for 3d

Favorite Answer

Oh yeah! What days they were. I wish I could take my grand-kids back to those days. The poor kids miss out on so much these days. The biggest thing they miss out on is being able to wander the streets day & nite like me & you & everyone else from that era did. Of course the kids, and the people who had negative answers to your question, would not realise or even begin to be able to comprehend, the freedoms we did have back then. Some of them were;

1. The ability to take the punishments for what we done wrong, which in turn, made us into respectful adults.

2. The freedom from being "protected", which made us learn to be able to protect ourselves.

3. Being able to eat what we wanted, because we would burn off the fat from that cream bun, by playing outside, instead of playing on-line/ electronic games, or watching "Big Brother","Idol" and the rest of the droll on TV

4. The freedom to think for ourselves, instead of being subjected to the media and marketing brainwashing, which makes todays kids believe that they have to have this, that, & the other, and all at ridiculous prices for brand name stuff.

5. We suffered the pain of learning to spell, write, add & subtract, so that later on in life, we didn't have to get the calculator out to work out the total for 2 pints of milk and a loaf of bread. We just did it in our heads. I always have the right money ready for the shop chics, 10 minutes before she has added it up on her calculator, and always a puzzled look on her face about how I happened to have the right amount in my hand for her.

6. We had freedom from our "rights", so that we knew exactly where we stood in our world. And our standing was in the shadows of our parents, teachers, police, and all adults in general. We never questioned that, and thank goodness we didn't. With our ability to think, survive and perform, us kids would have run rings around the adults.

7. We had a thing called imagination. We made our own fun. We didn't rely on adults to entertain us. How many times do you hear a kid say "I'm bored". So much for all their console games, and the countless toys they have been supplied with because "They Saw, They Wanted, They Cried, They Got"

I could keep going on, but it boils down to the fact, that it was a good life, we never expected too much, and therefore we were never dissapointed, we weren't drowning in information technology, we had a fear of being caught out, so we kept out of trouble, our parents were allowed to be parents, rather than having to play 2nd fiddle to us kids.

Yeah, they were good days........

• Moscow

I'm 46 so I remember most of that really well.( not the newsreels b4 the cinema)

T.v started at 4pm and, for us kids, finished at 5.45 pm then the parents owned 'the box'.

Everybody had at least 3 other siblings.

Knock out ginger was about as anti-social as kids got.

Every street built their own bonfire on Nov 5 and no-one minded.

Home computers were science fiction.

I'm sure most people could add to the list.

It was a time before multi-nationals ruled our lives and Britain was proud to be monocultural.

I'd just answered the 9/11 question and it left me feeling a bit ragged. Your question has brightened me up no end and brought back happy memories.

Others have questioned the white dog poo - this is poo that had 'lost its flavour' because it had been on the ground for so long!

A few other memories to add to the list: jacks, hooped petticoats, skipping, hop-scotch and no riding two on a bike. My brother and his friend were caught riding two on a bike and had to go to court. My mother was furious, he'd brought disgrace to our family - he was fined 10s 6d.

Of all the memories you listed the Izal toilet paper made me laugh - wasn't it dreadful stuff.

Oh yea - well some of them, also scrumping for apples from the orchard up the road and getting caught ! being brought home by the ear and getting a right bollocking from your mum for stealing !!.

Oh and those extendable roller skates with metal ball bearings in the wheels that went at 2 miles an hour (oh my ears still hurt !)

Being able to buy 2 cigarettes and a side of a match box with 2 matches from the local shop on your way home from school.

Every single one of those brings a memory and a smile - does it not make you really wonder - things really were simpler back then - there was certainly less stress so why did it all change? Supposedly times are changing to make things easier - for who? Life is so hard, fast and complicated now - I wouldn't want to be a kid growing up now in this ever changing fast paced world, but I suppose I look back at my childhood through rose tinted specs.

Thanks for this question i will now go to bed with a smile reminiscing x

I remember nutty bars too - very tasty mmmm x

Can I just add about the white dog poo - yes it is true we did used to see white dog poo on the pavements etc, the reason for this was they used to put chalk in dog food to bulk it out - they not allowed to do that anymore!

I remember them and they were Yucch! For a start, although we had doorstop milk deliveries it would always curdle in summer, and a lot of us didn't have fridges then, you remember those old earthenware 'milk coolers', you stood your milk bottle under a sort of vase that you desperately splashed cold water onto, but your Mum still had to try to explain to you why you should drink your vile-tasting tea with little white bits floating all over the top. As to teachers in high heels, I'm very glad most working women can wear trousers now and any sort of footwear they choose. I loved Muffin the Mule with Annette Mills, but we really can't live in a time warp.

Oh, and my parents wouldn't let me have a bike, even then, so I never got to try out the playing card thing.

Oh Elsie I remember all this so well. I also remember when your granny used to send you out on the street on a Friday when the rag and bone man came round. We would take anything and when we got a balloon it made our day. I remember when the police, if you did anything wrong as a kid they used to give you a clip round the ear and then take you home ! OH God what a hiding we got then !

That was living. No fear. Have a star x

PS See that toilet paper ? You needed to really crease it for any good lol !

Those were the good days, when you look back now, into the modern days, there is no comparison. There was no debt like there is today. Do you also remember the triangle frozen Jubilee, the Aztec bars, the fruit sald bars, chocolate logs with the nuts in them, caylie (rainbow flavours) I could go on and on.

• mum2mh

Yep I remember -

Long days lazing in the Australian sun...

The taste of frsh oranges picked from my Nana's tree and scopped out and eaten with a spoon...

F*g lollies which we pretended were cigarettes (can't believe Yahoo edits that word)...

Twin tub washing machines with the big stick to move the clothes in for a spin dry...

Frosty fruit iceblocks eaten on a hot summer's night...

And so much more.

Thanks for sharing.

Remember all those and more:

spangles

proper 1p trays

making mud pies

elastics

breaking the bottom from an ice cream cone to give to the baby!

smell of coal fires

bonfire night - cob coaling

spanish & Klie (not sure if that is how it is spelt)

I'm sure kids of today will have memories of their childhoods, just very different to ours.