Anonymous

American moving to Canada?

Can anyone tell me what some big changes for me will be. I would be moving there to be with a man I care deeply for but I'm a little nervous. The measurements being different and some of the money. Is there anything else that will be really different? Anything I can do to stop being so nervous and better aquaint myself with the differences?

I'm from Massachusetts so I love the cold.

I'll be moving to Prince Albert, SK.

Favorite Answer

Don't worry about things like the measurements. The packages will be about the sizes you are used to so you'll just keep on buying what looks right. Lots of the differences will be just like that. Nothing serious, though if you are the sort that becomes homesick, they could start to pile up on you.

And don't worry about French. Everything is in both languages anywhere anyone cares about French. And you can use the law to hammer any French snob who refuses to work nicely with English just as the Frenchies routinely hammer English speakers who won't work with French.

It's just a matter of becoming acclimatized. Even in England where they sell gasoline by the liter, not gallon, who cares? You're comparing price per liter everywhere so you still pick the cheapest around to fill up with. All the differences with real things are like that. Sort of quaint, if you will, or mildly frustrating when you have a cake to bake and need to be exact. But not serious.

What WILL be very different is how they look at things. For example, in the US politics is divided with political conservatives being economically conservative as well, and the opposite for liberals. In Canada, as in every European country, political conservatism is just political. Oh, they're slightly conservative economically but in the sense a political conservative is a socialist not a communist while a political liberal is a communist vs. being a socialist economically. THAT takes getting used to, the incredibly deep belief that the government should be in everything and owes you everything. Even people you'd expect to be independent act that way. I expect the part of the Iditerot (spelling...) that is in Canada has emergency phones every mile or two or someone suing about it.

That's why so many people have a heartache with Schwarzenegger, by the way. They thought they were hiring a conservative as governor, but they got a European conservative who's really a socialist in most the ways it matters. Serves 'em right. Lol, or left.

But that kind of thing is in everything. The basic assumptions of life up there. Political correctness gone wild usually, as well. But you should adapt to that too. Most young people grew up on the ideals of their parents, much to the shock and horror of the parents (can you say "gay marriage"?). When you have little real life to modify how ideals apply to your life and sense of fairness, you likely will have no problem slipping into Canadian life. For me it would be constantly irksome. Big as it is, you may not actually notice much!

(A generation brought up their kids to abhor treating gays badly. After all, gays are perfectly normal and fine people too, eh? How shocking then that those kids who are now 20-30 should consider it utterly natural for gays to marry just like any other perfectly normal and fine people do? I wager abolitonism caught a generation of parents with the same level of surprise and shock back in 1830-1840 as kids who had grown up knowing we didn't import slaves anymore because it was wrong to do so began to have voice and political influence!)

You'll do fine!

I moved from NYC to Toronto. Product labels are usually in both English and French. The weather can be really cold and dry here during winter but then again, you can wear fur and not get yelled at. Bring moisturizer, you'll need it when you get here. In general, people are really laid back and the streets are clean. Everything else is pretty much the same.

ALOT of people won't be in a position to stand George Bush(me lined) or what his adminstration has completed to destroy this united states. i think of shifting to a diverse united states is somewhat severe inspite of the shown fact that. LOL, i will rarely await 2008.

You'll also have to deal with French, especially if you're moving to Ontario. So if you don't know any, I'd at least brush up on some basic phrases and stuff.

honestly its exactly the same as america. the lifestyle is really similar. i live in vancouver and i wouldn't live anywhere else but here inc anada. only minus is the winters are pretty cold.

This is the problem with you bloody Americans. You know absolutely NOTHING about any country other than your own.

Get this: The Canadians ride dog sleds, dress in clothes made from sealskin, live in igloos, it's dark for 9 months of the year, etc....

For the record, I am an Australian living in Canada and I love the place. Dog sleds... Haha!

~edit~

I just love that idiot that says you'll have to pay for health care. In Canada, health care is (more or less) free. One more thing that makes it better than the USA.

• Eric

its veerrrryyy expensive from what your used to. and try getting used to kilometers and celcius

It's a different country, so there will be things that are really different.

Source(s): my brain

You'll be taxed to death and you'd better come back to the US for health care.