Does lime juice really cook fish?

I can not eat seafood raw. I can eat it cooked, but the raw stuff makes me violently ill. I keep hearing about fish and shellfish being "cooked" by marinating in lime or lemon juice. Is it really cooked? Are the proteins denatured by the citric acid?

Favorite Answer

You're correct, the acids will denature the proteins and cook the fish or shellfish partially. However, The main purpose of the lemon or lime juice is simply to neutralize the fishy odor while pleasantly marinading it. I would still cook it properly afterwards if you're sensitive to raw seafood.

• ai

Cooking Fish With Lime

Being a former chef and having made ceviche, lomi-lomi salmon and other citrus marinated dishes, it is not really "cooking", the juices chabge the protien structure of the flesh otherwise in a sence cooking but it is still is some manner raw. When marinating meats and poultry there structures are a bit different, with regards to chicken in a salad dressing marinate it would change the texture and make it frimer but not like the fish, you would sit need to either saute or baked the chicken or parts. Acid marinate allow the meat to tenderizer and bcome softer for a less chewy taste and feel, just like pounding a stak or pork chop into a cutlet does a similar tenderizing.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does lime juice really cook fish?

Source(s): lime juice cook fish: https://tr.im/sFg2x

I don't know but I cant stand cooked salmon or most fish that smell or taste like fish and would never think of eating raw meat of any kind..especially fish!! Yesterday I ate a "salsa "with tasty nutty flavor with tortilla chips and really enjoyed it until I was told that it was raw seafood, salmon, shrimp, halibut etc, "pickled" in lime juice..called....????? So I made myself have another taste. Knowing it was raw meat gave me a strange feeling but it still didn't taste like fish..

Yes it does, not in the typical sense though. It cooks it chemically using the acids in the juice.

Yes, the acid denatures the proteins. As to whether your stomach would tolerate it I can't say. Why not just eat cooked fish?

Here is a guide to some of the most exotic juice recipes for free

http://www.healthmad.com/Fitness/10-Exotic-and-Hea...

please keep in mind that although the citrus 'cooks' the fish it has not been cooked properly and brought to a high temp to eliminate bacteria..this could also make you sick.....i would just cook it properly

it really does cook it.... it's called ceviche duh!!!

yummy yummy yummy stuff... try it!