Atheists and Christians; "The Devil can cite Scripture for his purpose" So are Atheists the Devil's advocates?

When some Atheists cite some scripture to show the contradictions in Holy books, does that mean they are the Devil or the Devil's advocates?

You Cheecky Devil Atheists You!

Update:

Dwain, so Shakespeare is wrong?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

LOL! What that quote really means is that ANYONE, even the Devil, can cite scripture for his own purpose. The idea being that when someone cites scripture to support some dicey idea, we should take it with a grain of salt. And also we should realize that there isn't one universally accepted, unquestionable interpretation of any given passage.

Christians have long tried to equate atheism or even agnosticism with Satanism. It's the old Us-vs-Them ploy, you are either with us or with Satan. It's like in politics, accusing anyone who disagrees with you of supporting Hitler or Saddam Hussein.

I -do- play 'devil's advocate' sometimes. I even use the term to apply to myself. But I try to make sure people understand I mean it only figuratively. 8^)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your 'logic' is terrible.

If the Devil can cite Scripture for his purpose...and.. Jesus can cite Scripture for his purpose (same story, right) then logically nothing follows.

IF A and NOT A are B

C is an A or a NOT A

Then !!! Quick, call the Logic Ambulance.

• Jess H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I would think that if the devil was citing scripture for his purpose, he wouldn't pose as an atheist to do it. It's more dangerous when someone who supposedly BELIEVES it uses it and twists it to make people think and do horrible things.

Just saying "I don't believe this", or "this doesn't make sense" doesn't cause people to act in horrible ways. Twisting scripture and then using it to convince people that "God" wants them to DO certain things is what causes dangerous and delusional behavior.

• 1 decade ago

Don't all of us live part of our lives as atheists?Atheists are people who don't believe in God yet and may never believe but i don't think there are the devils advocate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The devil advocates me.

• 4 years ago

I am sure the atheist will not defend Christianity and the playing of god advocate did not arise.

• Serena
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Who says being a "devil's advocate" is actually a bad thing? ;)

• 1 decade ago

so if both god and satan can cite scripture how do you tell the difference between the two? isnt it possible those christians that try to weasel religion into government are really messengers of satan? ooooooo i like that one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the devil can write and censor and mistranslate scripture for it's purpose too (i.e. what the church has done for centuries)

Source(s): non-christian pantheistic lost soul
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm actually the daughter of satan. Here to save you all. Believe me or perish for ever in icy cold waters.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.