In Japan I have 100 Mps Internet access for about $50 CAD. Why are speeds in Canada so limited? 1 Mps or 2Mps

Is there unlimited fibre optic internet access available in Canada with 100 Mps throughtput?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The population in Japan is much, MUCH more condensed population wise.

The population density of Japan is 339 people per square km.

The population density of Canada is 3.2 people per square km.

This means that the fiber laid in 1km in Japan has to be paid off by 339 people where in Canada only 3 have to pay that off. It costs money to lay the fiber optic cable. In areas with heavily population density the fiber optic cable serves a lot more people and can get paid off a lot easier.

• 1 decade ago

When Japan invented practical optical fibers (Japan is not the first inventor of optical fiber though), only Japan had the manufacturing technologies of the fibers. America was afraid Japan would hold the domestic network in her hands and control the price in the future. So America didn't grant a permission for Japanese companies to spread the optical fibers in the US, despite government installed the optical fiber network for their intercity communication (Gov. use only), and drove forward the DSL which requires only telephone metal line for the private use.

I am not sure if Canada had the same anxiety. But I guess Canada followed the US and adopted the DSL or T1.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

asian countrys like japan and korea have been able to foucs more on tech stuff since theyre small tiny countrys that are protected by the united states

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.