dodge intrepid is idling too high ? 1996 3.3 litre?

my boyfriend changed this hose cause the anitfreeze was leaking the hose was rusted and needed replaced but now when we start the car every time it is idling way too fast what could be wrong with it hes been out there forever and we dont have another car it is a 1996 3.3 litre engine please help im going crazy being in the house lol thank you very much in advance

Update:

no the throllte is good and the vacumme lines are good too i just asked him

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

he didnt happen to knock off any vaccume lines? bent the throttle linkage bracket,

Source(s): 16yr mechanic
  • 1 decade ago

Sounds to me like a vaccume leak. Get a can of carb clean and "lightly" spray the vaccume lines and the base of the throttle body. If the engines rpm's change you have a vaccume leak. Do you have a check engine light? It could be the idle air control motor (mounted on the throttle body), throttle position sensor (also mounted on the throttle body), mass airflow sensor (mounted in the air intake hose), or the charge air temp sensor aka intake air temp sensor (I don't know where this is mounted).

Source(s): chrysler/dodge/jeep/mitsubishi parts guy for 9yrs.
  • 1 decade ago

have him look for a wire that could have got knocked loose or off,sometimes it doesn't take much to make one idle high,one small kink in the linkage will also cause this too happen,all he can do is look over the whole area he was in and see if anything got knocked loose,a vacuum hose will cause a high idle ,and there's a few of them on that car,god luck.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 37 yrs.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.